Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 102
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

Aha 2009/5/17 15:01
Very insightful! Thanks for the clarification, I understand their concerns now. They are justified in feeling that way.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

Update on incoming procedures 2009/5/18 09:50
We just arrived into Japan last night via Hawaii after a 3 week trip to California.

Our experience was that we had to fill out a health survey on the plane consisting of our contact and id info, and 3 questions concerning where we have travelled and whether we are/have been sick. At Narita everyone is thermal scanned for high temperatures (its done while walking down the hall and you may not even notice the scanning station) after which we waited in line to turn in our questionnaire, and since we had been to a place with known outbreak we had to fill out another form with virtually the same questions, turn that in and go on to immigration. The overall increase for all the processing was about 5-10 minutes.

Since entering we have not been contacted or been asked to contact local health authorities.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

update on confirmed cases 2009/5/19 02:23
Seems to have a sudden surge on confirmed cases (125 according to WHO).

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_05_18/en/index.html
by Douglas (guest) rate this post as useful

hopefully becoming flexible 2009/5/19 13:07
As Douglas suggested, as far as the number of swine flu patients in the country is concerned, Japan now ranks as the top 3rd in the world, and most of the patients are high school students in the Kansai Region who have never been abroad.

Governers of the Region including Governer Hashimoto met with Health Minister Masuzoe, and responding, the Minster said that as the new flu appears to be no more harmful than seasonal ones, the government is working on a new and more flexible set of measures.

Btw, when ordinary seasonal flu starts spreading in Japan, typically, schools will be closed for about a week but other facilities such as nurseries will be open, and patients aren't necessarily hospitalized but just cured at home after a family docter's examination. But with this new flu, at the moment, nurseries are closing for almost the first time in decades, and those who have fever are to report to special hospitals before seeing a doctor.

You can search keywords like "Hashimoto Masuzoe" for more details and updates.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/19 17:31
Juz when i have decided to go ahead with my travel plans after weeks of comtemplating... I juz cant believe this have to happen !!!

I really hope that Japan can contain this flu... I really hate to abort my Japan trip!!! Waited for 7 years...

Uco... Thks for the piece of info... Do update with more news...
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

leaving in 5 days 2009/5/20 00:24
I'm leaving on Sunday to Tokyo via Narita, and I have to say I am getting worried...
Now really about the flu itself, since for most parts it's as harmless as other flus (at least for now), but the precautions the japanese government is taking, and the reactions of locals to tourists... I really don't want to be quarantined for my entire trip then not get reimbursed for it.. sounds like a horrible experience. And I'm afraid that many japanese stores and establishments such as museums and onsens will be closed and public gatherings banned.
I am trying to keep updated on the current situation in Japan - any input is appreciated. Thanks.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm worried also 2009/5/20 03:29
I'm leaving tomorrow for Japan and am most worried about getting treated badly due to being from North America and with the whole swine flu adding to this, I feel that there will be more prejudice against tourists from the US, due to the fears that have been shown through the media, but I do greatly respect the safety precautions of the government to keep their citizens safe and also those coming in as it is a concern, so hopefully my travels will go smoothly tommorow
by Emi (guest) rate this post as useful

To those coming to Japan 2009/5/20 10:30
Take it easy and please read the posts carefully, especially Yllwsmrf's dated May 18th. You can see that the airport is calming down.

Also, although the shops are starting to make their workers wear masks, I haven't heard of any of them closing. They are just closing schools and nurseries for infants and the elderly, which of course has no affect to tourists.

The Ministry is encouraged to and is planning to change their policies so that the new flu will be treated just as same as regular seasonal flu, meaning no special hospitalizing etc.

Note that, at the moment, all reported patients happened to be in the Kansai Region (Osaka and neighboring areas).

For precautions, however, you are advised to gargle, wash hands and wear masks.

... 2009/5/20 12:23
My mom just advised me that on-plane checks can take as long as to 3-4 hours. Her friend just had a layover at Narita, and it took 3-4 hours before she could get off the plane. She missed her connecting flight!
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

ask airline 2009/5/20 13:06
The best way to update yourself on on-plane checks is to contact your airline or to contact Narita Airport.

It's the Japanese I feel sorry for 2009/5/21 00:14
Hi, it's the Japanese School students that I feel sorry for as they are missing out on their once in a lifetime trip abroad due to the over re action of those in authority as trips abroad are cancelled.On the whole the rest of the world is still travelling.I still plan on going back to Japan no matter what but it does make you think why when they stop/advise their nationals not to travel.
by aged traveller rate this post as useful

Please keep us updated! 2009/5/21 00:59
I am scheduled to leave on Saturday for Tokyo on a 5-day trip... and this thread has been very helpful.

Like others, I am less concerned about getting the flu myself, and more concerned about the Japanese reaction, things closing, etc.

Any "street knowledge" from locals, would be most appreciated as this situation develops.

by Teban S rate this post as useful

sorry to be late 2009/5/23 23:09
I've been busy and not had time for Japan Guide, so I am late in contributing. Uco, the point, which I was not making very well, is that as Japan and Hong Kong are both members of WHO, and that is more of a consideration then variations in individual culture among nations when responding to a global health situation. I hesitate to call it a crisis. The current Director General of WHO is Margaret Chan who cut her teeth as it were in HK during SARS. There is an interesting article in the NEw York TImes detailing coming changes to how WHO defines a pandemic due to criticism over the handling of swine flu. Here is an excerpt:
"Bowing to pressure, the World Health Organization announced Friday that it would rewrite its rules for alerting the world to new diseases, meaning the swine flu circling the globe will probably never be declared a full-fledged pandemic.

Dr. Keiji Fukuda, the deputy director general making the W.H.O. announcement, said that he could not predict exactly what the new rules would be but that criteria would include a 'substantial risk of harm to people,' not just the geographic spread of a relatively benign virus."
Here is the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/23/health/policy/23who.h...
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/5/24 11:23
Thanks, Tilt.

Well, I'm here now, and all seems OK 2009/5/25 06:26
Well, I might as well answer my own question... I just arrived in Tokyo last night. I'm not sure about Osaka, but here in Tokyo I see about 10% of people wearing masks. Everyone seems to be going about their business in a normal way. No crisis, no panic, and everything seems to be open and operating normally.

My friend here told me that I may encounter some concern if people realize I am from North America, but I have not noticed this at all... in fact, people continue to be their normal, helpful, friendly selves! :)
by Teban S rate this post as useful

flu 2009/5/25 08:37
I'm a "local" (not Japanese, but have lived in Tokyo for 11 years). I got back from Okinawa last night and there were more people than usual putting on masks when we arrived at Haneda airport, and I know a few people who have cancelled trips abroad, but otherwise life is normal here.

People now know that it is not that serious an illness for most people, and the schools in Osaka and Kobe are reopening today. You should not experience any different treatment (or any more than usual) for being a foreigner in Japan- I certainly haven't and I live here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Heading there soon 2009/5/25 12:55
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I'm about to head to Japan for the very first time. Just as a precaution should I have a doctor check me out for swine flu here in America, and bring a note saying I am not afflicted with it? I am also thinking of getting my own mask, to use in case I am told to do so. Would doing any of this make my travels easier? Or can it at least help the health inspectors jobs that much easier?
by TheCarver rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/25 13:18
Hi TheCarver,

It won't make any difference at all if you bring a note so it's best you don't waste your time. Everyone walks past the thermal screening.

I have been in and out twice now since this started (about to go back in soon) and think I have worked out the delays. Quite simply really.
If the plane arrives with no suspect cases you wont experience any delay.
If the plane arrives however and someone has been coughing their guts up during the flight be prepared to be delayed up to 2 hours.
This happened on my last entry unfortunately.
The captain did advise us though that any connecting flights will wait for passengers.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Bring masks if you want to wear them 2009/5/25 14:14
TheCarver,

A doctor's note might help you yourself know that you're not sick ''yet'', but it won't help the inspector. The virus can be spread from someone else while you're sitting inside the aircraft, and that's why they do the inspection.

Also the two Japanese patients who came home from the U.S. having fever, passed the quarantine test at the airport, but after they arrived home, they saw doctors and found out that they had the virus.

As for masks, however, stores in Japan are running out of masks, so it will help if you bring some of your own in case you feel you need them for one reason or another. But as far as I know, when you are ''asked'' to wear masks, you are provided them.

All in all, things are pretty calm here in Japan. Interestingly, even though several patients were newly found in Greater Tokyo, unlike Osaka, Greater Tokyo never made all the schools close: just the one school with the patients. And as mentioned, Osaka is through with their week worth of school closure.

Thanks! 2009/5/25 14:44
Thanks Uco. I can't wait to head to Japan next month so I'm making sure I have everything in order. Personally I'm not worried about swine flu, but I want to do everything I can to help. Does anyone else have any advice concerning swine flu, so anyone heading there can be prepared; just in case of course.
by TheCarver rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 102
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread