Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 4: Posts 61 - 76 of 76
prev
1 2 3 4

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 14:03
Again speculation.

I don't think speculation is a bad thing if it is based on reliable sources, such as the Asahi Shimbun. And as long as people properly read the articles and don't confuse considerations with decisions.

The article in question strongly suggests that individual tourists will not be able to re-enter from spring. Considering how opposed the Japanese population would be towards reopening borders, it would be no surprise that the government will tackle the issue in baby steps, starting with a well controlled trial of tour groups from countries with low numbers of infections.

In other words, I think it is very unlikely that regular tourists will be able to re-enter Japan before September 2021 (after the end of the Paralympics) at the earliest. And even then, it is likely to be a gradual process, with Europeans unlikely to be among the first to be able to re-enter.

Warning: the above is speculation.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 16:59
Uji,

Arent't japanese tourism related business entities blaming and accusing the government in style "Why are you blocking the tourism, you are ruining our business and destroying the income"? I guess in a grand scheme of things for example Tokyo or Osaka are not that dependent on tourism like Paris, Rome or Mediterrenean coastal resort cities. I guess, that Osaka Namba Swiss hotel has a lot of vacant rooms and it will cost a lot to just maintain that complex and personnel.

For comparison, the old city of Tallinn is pretty deserted and restaurant owners almost every day complain and blame the government. Of course, in the background is the usual political game, too.

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 17:05
All tourism is the same globally currently. nil to poor. But the governments do what the major populas wants. If 90% of the populas says it doesn't want international visitors until proven safe. Then the 10% in the tourism sector are not gonna win any political battles.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 18:40
This isn't about "political battles", this about keeping the country and its citizens safe from a deadly virus. Tourism operators are certainly suffering, and that is unfortunate, but the government has a duty to keep all their people safe even if it means some businesses suffer financially.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 19:37
The government already said they will be opening up tourism.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13994514

If you been following Japanse politics, these announcements are usually final, as changing plans is more complex than creating new ones.
Popular opinion don't really matter, Japanese voters will not be punishing the politicians on this decision, it is simply not their primary concern when voting.
by po (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 20:25
Actually, I hope this is true information:D
by AlisaFrost rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/7 21:43
H:

What i meant: at least in Estonia the "without tourists and open bars you are destroying our business" chanters seem to be the fans of those political parties who are currently in the opposition in the parliament :-).
So they are blaming the government that it is their fault, that tourists either can't or do not want to visit my country.

That is why i asked the question - are the "please, open the country" voices strong or weak in Japan? And i just guess, that they are kind of weak, because foreign tourism does not bring as much money to Japan compared to France or Italy. Or imagine the economy of Austria and Switzerland if the ski resorts will stay closed or only locals visit them during the 20/21 winter season; i guess that ski resorts in Japan are not that dependent on foreigners?

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/8 16:17
Popular opinion does not affect policy much.
Please listen to what the government have said. They have already stated that they will be opening up foreign tourism by spring of 2021.
by d (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 06:22
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 07:46
There are several recent reports (this week) about some inbound tourism trials the Japan Government is planning for early 2021 (spring), but they don't sound too attractive for the majority of people. Sounded more like a scripted ride around the country on a prison bus (no trains, no meeting other foreigners, restricted movement, and a host of other non-specified covid measures).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 11:55
Man.. everything so slow (even for low-infection countries) and some countries need to wait longer.

Indeed it seems it will still take an eternity (years) for some people until they can make a "normal" trip to Japan or just visit in-laws :(

It is so depressing...
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 13:00
Your spotify is stuck on the same sad song.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 16:51
I think Yes. But if you have works in Japan or Visa, you are able to enter in Japan. One of my friend from US he could live in Japan from this month, because he had to work in Japan and he had Visa. But I think it is impossible to visit to Japan by tourism from other country in April.
by 6Moeri rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 17:14
@6Moeri So you also think it will take years right?
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/9 22:45
You know, I think a lot of people are truly fed up of reading people baselessly speculating that it will be years before tourism opens up.

I am not going to tell you what the user 6Moeri thinks, but saying that it will be impossible to visit in April does not equal years, that is five months away. If you have any reason to think that it will take years, then by all means show us, but I don't think there is any reason to believe this to be the case. The three most likely scenarios - factually - are:

1) The virus will become less of an issue in enough countries that global tourism is able to start up again. We are already headed in this direction, people are being vaccinated as I type this, and the Japanese government specifically are working on allowing limited tours into Japan in just a matter of months.
2) We learn to live with the virus and the world gets moving again regardless. Simply because the Japanese economy can not wait years to allow independent travellers into the country.
3) A combination of the above two.

Just please, the constant negativity and the fact that it's not anything we haven't read before, just repeating the same things over and over. It doesn't help to change the situation, it doesn't provide anyone with any useful or relevant information (actually it does the opposite), and you are wrong anyway. Go and talk to someone who works in international tourism if you don't believe me.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tourism reopens in April = fake news? 2020/12/10 08:03
Thanks LIZ - good to hear some sensible words instead of those that only want their own doomsday theories confirmed.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 4: Posts 61 - 76 of 76
prev
1 2 3 4

reply to this thread