Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

luggage 2007/7/23 17:45
Hello Everybody,
as all fo you I am also planing to climbe Mt Fuji. Having read all the posts I would still like to ask whether anybody knows if there are lockers or other possibility to leave the luggage at the 5th station? thanks!
by anna l rate this post as useful

Lockers 2007/7/23 19:20
"Unjoukaku" on the 5th station of Kawaguchiko guchi has lockers(300yen-500yen) The first floor is a souvenir store.
http://www.fujikyu.co.jp/unjyokaku/unjyokaku01.html
by Abab rate this post as useful

Manju... 2007/7/23 19:38
Thanks for the informative post Manju. Could I ask how many stops did you take along the way? Trekked at a leisurely pace?

And, was it cold on the top?
by Dan rate this post as useful

lockers and temperature 2007/7/23 21:59
Thanks a lot for reply. As fro the temperature i was informed that it is usually around =+6 celsius at the top in the mid Agust.
by anna l rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/24 08:46
The average temperature at the summit in mid August is 9 degrees (daytime high) and 4 degrees (nighttime low).
by Uji rate this post as useful

To Dan 2007/7/24 16:07
HI Dan,

Climbed at a leisure pace till 8.5th station, but there was a traffic jam @ 9th station. Then literally had to run on those rocks to make sure am there on summit on time. I did stop at all stations for about 5 mins and then move on.

The tempearture on top would be nearing to Zero, was very cold on top. Be prepared for that. But once the Sun is up, its a celebration.

Check my snaps:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9553107@N06/sets/72157600951917856/detail/

Happy Climbing Dan!!!
by Manju rate this post as useful

nice pictures! 2007/7/25 01:15
thanks for all of the info. Sounds like we had better start our climb at around 8PM to be sure and allow time. I am climbing during the Obon week so things may be too crowded then, we'll see.

Was there any reason for the traffic jam at station 9? Would it be smart to hike to that point quickly and take an extended rest since it sounds like we may be forced into one anyway?
by drj rate this post as useful

Looking at climbing Mt. Fuji on 11Aug 2007/7/25 06:06
Is there anyone climbing Mt. Fuji on 11 Aug? Probably going to climb alone. Not sure if my brother is going to go with me. a few people to climb with would be nice.

amcachero@hotmail.com
by RC rate this post as useful

Fuji 2007/7/25 10:11
drj, the reason for the traffic jam at the 9th station is that at about 2 in the morning all the people who started the climb earlier and spent a few hours in the huts pour out of them at the same time, causing a major hold-up.

To avoid this try to start by about 8pm and then stay ahead of the people coming out of the huts and milling around as much as you can.

You will still be able to take 5-10 minute rests along the way, but if you keep ahead of the hordes then you won't end up stuck in the middle of a big pack of people.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Shinjuku - Fuji - Fuji 5 lakes 2007/7/26 15:46
Hi Manju and All

Where did u start your climb from? I will be climbing in Mid August, during the Obon Period.

My plan is to start from Kawaguchi 5th Station. I would need to descend near the lake, where I have booked a ryokan.

Anyone has any suggestion on the transports/route to take from Shinjuku to Mt Fuji to the lakes? Am a little lost on this.
by Eunice rate this post as useful

trains and temp 2007/7/26 15:52
There are direct buses to Kawaguchi-ko from Shinjuku. Another way is to take the Chuo Line to Otsuki, change to the Fuji Kyukou Line to Kawaguchi-ko and then take the bus to the 5th station.

For those who are asking if it's cold at the top, yes, it's very cold, especially early in the morning- the above temps of 4-6 deg don't take into account the wind chill factor, which is almost always present. Dress for temps of around zero deg C

It doesn't matter how hot it is at the bottom of the mountain, there is not a chance that it will be warm at the top at 4 in the morning.

good 2007/7/26 19:05
by Johns rate this post as useful

To Eunice 2007/7/27 15:03
HI Eunice,

Take a Bus from Shinjuku Terminal (West Exit) which directly goes to Kawaguchiko 5th Station and start climbing from Yoshidoguchi Trail, thats the best pick from the 5th station, as thats where the best view of sun rise is. While descending be watchful of the directions and take the yoshidoguchi trail to descend. Though i could see the lake while descending, donn know the exact way. Start climbing by 8PM as the Obon week is considered to be one of the busiest week on Mount Fuji ( Am sure you don want to see the sunrise from 8th or 9th station) so start early and reach the summit soon and relax while you wait for the sunrise. Be prepared for freezing cold. Enjoy the sunrise.

Happy Climbing

mt fuji day climb 2007/7/28 17:17
Hi, can anyone help me out on this..

Im arriving in shinjuku on 29th jul night abt 9pm. I only have 1 day, 30th jul mon, to climb mt fuji as im in tokyo for work purpose and will be leaving by 31st noon.

Plan on taking the 1st morn bus direct frm shinjuku-5th station (0745-1010h).

Last bus to shinjuku frm kawaguchiko station leaves at 1959h so I have to catch the 1825h shuttle at 5th station to head down base.

That leaves me only abt 8 hours to do a trek up to the summit and down back to 5th station. Is it very risky? I will be travelling alone. Have some trekking experience.

Wonder if it will be as crowded from the 8th station to the summit at midnoon?Dont have time to be stuck.

Any idea what time the sky will start turning dark?

Also, any idea if i can take a later transport back to shinjuku? Any buses besides the train service.
by carol rate this post as useful

not really enough time 2007/7/28 20:32
Unless you are very fit I don't think you will have enough time to reach the summit and get back down again in 8 hours. You will also be exhausted and aching the next day unless you regularly make this kind of trek.

There will be other people climbing but not as many as night time. It's fairly safe, but I really recommend you just visit the 5th station this time or climb a little way past the 5th station and then turn back.

Climbing to 3,776 m is not something to hurry as acclimatisation time is important to avoid altitude sickness.

To all the Mountaineering Peers 2007/8/1 08:51
Check out Discovery Channel 10PM Tokyo time every Monday. Group of people are taking a expedition to Mount Everest. This is an awesome show for all of us in the forum.

This might also give some ideas on Mountain climbing.

Climb High!!!

Buying bus tickets from outside Japan 2007/8/1 12:57
Manju, et al,
Thanks for the advice and the great pix! Do you know if it is possible to purchase advance bus tickets to Mt Fuji from outside Japan (eg, via website)? Thanks!
by Pat rate this post as useful

To Pat 2007/8/1 15:18
HI Pat,

Please try contacting these no and you could make a reservation for your date of travel to MOunt Fuji :03-5376-2222 and 03-3376-1111. ONe of these no will have a english speaker, so they would explain you better. Also there is a website : http://www.fujikyu.co.jp/

But this is in Japanese. I think you need not buy advance ticket to Mount Fuji, just a call to them and reservation is fine and the seats will be reserved for you. Again please confirm when you call.Also have a japanese friend along when you call, just in case if you do not understand japanese.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Happy Climbing Pat!!!!

Last Friday Night 2007/8/5 00:29
So did anyone end up climbing Mt Fuji last Friday night (3rd Aug)? What a night in hell that was.

As a tip to anyone planning an overnight climb when there is rain... don`t. It could very well be the worst night of your life.
by Matt G rate this post as useful

thnx 2007/8/5 02:45
Thanks for the info. yeah if it looks like rain I am not going to try. Was it steady rain the whole time from the 5th Station? ewwww..
by drj rate this post as useful

Page 4 of 5: Posts 61 - 80 of 84
prev
1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread