Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 5 of 15: Posts 81 - 100 of 291
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
next

Do Japanese say "I Love You"? 2004/11/13 13:47
Any woman that would ask me to sever ties with my family will be going back home to Japan without me. That would be all she wrote. She sounds very selfish and jealous.
by Frank65 rate this post as useful

Do you say 'I love you?' 2004/11/13 15:52
Hi everyone here!
I haven't read all of them this forum ,but I want to put my personal experience about original question.
In my early 20s, I had a very nice romantic foreigner boyfriend in Canada. We often said 'I love you, I miss you..'each other and kept a good relationship for a while. But ,for example, when we were in restaurant and shared big stake to chop up, he took bigger slice himself without asking me and gave me smaller. When gone to park with some sandwitches and drink,he gave me a cup when serving, the one which droped on ground and got dirty.
Now I have other boyfriend who doesnt say much 'I love you',but he always want to give me bigger and nicer part of beef and nicer things than him.
I dont mean to care of amount of food that which has bigger or not. (and also it is NOT apply to anyone, just my personal experience)
As now grew up more than before, I am easily moved by something sweet coming from heart naturally than be saying 'I love you'.
by sakura rate this post as useful

to Romanticism 2004/11/13 17:50
You said your friend wouldn't say how old he was - did you ask what animal sign is his birth year? With a 12 year cycle you should be able to guess what year it was (g).

I would think both Japanese & Chinese can relate to the animal year.
by Jpapa rate this post as useful

Truth love san, 2004/11/13 18:55
I translated literally that. Phew..... a little tired.
I wished Japanese persons to consider the essence of love. That is the only reason.
Religion or a particular bit of Love's situation is not related to my intention.
---------------
In a certain place, there was a health-obsessed man named Giko. He periodically went to the hospital and had always got the medical checkup.
Goko: Is my body fine health? // Dr: Everything looked all right. Come here after you are sick.

He who reduced health to only one hobby got a girl friend just like others, and got married her. And a child was also born. They lived a very happy life. However, the happiness didn't continue for a long time.
Their daughter had a serious illnesses. It was a incurable illness, and could not treat even modern medicine.
He who had blind belief in modern medicine went to the shrine and prayed to immortal deities every day, at the end of his rope.
Certain day, a strange old man spoke to him.
Old man: Konnichiwa(Greets) // Giko: Who are you?
Old man: I am Death. // Giko: Death?
Old man: I'll grant you a wish. // Giko: My wish?
Old man: You wish to help your daughter, don't you? // Giko: Can you help?
Old man: Of course. But, there is one condition for it. // Giko: ?
Old man: I want to get your soul. // Giko: eh?
Old man: Those like you who very value your own life are quite rare. Your soul is very worthy. How about it? // Giko: What happens to me if my daughter was saved?
Old man: You die. // Giko: .....
Old man: I had early my eye on you. // Giko: What?
Old man: Nobody buys a soul without a vitality. // Giko: Let me think. // Old man: Well,...Okay. You might want to think.

GIKO went to the hospital to meet his daughter on the way back. His daughter was debilitated by her illnesses.
Daughter: Papa. // Giko: Sorry. I woke up you.
Daughter: Papa. // Giko: hun? What's up?
Daughter: I die? // Giko: eh?
Daughter: I.....Even if I am ever reincarnated, I want to become papa's child. // Giko: !!!!

Her words gave Giko a catch in the throat. He was near to tears of sadness, but he held back his tears. He tried forced smile, and he gently stroked his daughter's head. On the next day, Giko makes up my mind and met that old man.
Old man: Did you reach a determination? // Giko: I give my soul. Instead,.....
Old man: Yes, I surely help your daughter. // Giko: Fulfill the promise!
Old man: Surely, I got your soul....A father sacrifices a life for a daughter....I cannot understand feeling of this love....Love is downright difficult.

And then the time passed. Giko's daughter found him lying, and ran up to him.
Daughter: What's with you? I came back on my feet. I came looking for Papa. Did you die? Don't die! Papa! Papa! Papa!

Giko's daughter clung on GIKO. Big drops of tears rolled from her eyes. The tears fell to the cheek of GIKO. Giko opened his eyes then. Giko cried out, and pressed her to his chest, and cried big tears.
Giko: Why am I alive? // Old man: Your soul fetches a high price. I thought so. However, the moment you were ready for death for the daughter, your soul declined in value. Your soul attracts no buyers. So, I returned the soul to your body.
Giko: Oh! Thank you. Old man. // Old man: Haha, don't give me that. This is the first time that I got a thank, though I'm doing Death for a long time.
Old man: I wonder why. This warmth....? This is "love", by any chance?
---------------
by OJT rate this post as useful

Really touching! 2004/11/14 01:18
Dear Mr.OJT san,

Really very touching! I mean your efforts in doing the detailed translations and the Japanese story too!

I realize that nothing is impossible if we tried our best to overcome all those difficulties!

Thanks a lot for your hard work in translating the long story. I really hope that the one I love will get the chance to have a look at the touching story!

Best Wishes
by Truth love rate this post as useful

To: Jpapa 2004/11/14 18:00
Hello Jpapa,

Thank you for your suggestion.
He is a very intelligent guy that he would know if I ask his Zodiac in order to know his age.

I remember once we had a discussion about economy in the USA because he used to work there at his early 30s for a few years, he was so hesitated to tell who the President was if the Presidency could last for 4 or 8 years!

I really don't understand, and it makes me worry about his sincerity.....

Romanticism

by Romanticism rate this post as useful

To: OJT san 2004/11/14 18:15
Dear OJT san,

Thank you for your serious thought about why he didn't tell me his age.

Without telling me such a simple backgroud like age, it extends to my doubts about his sincerity - means does he just want a girl for fun? just a part time lover?........ all kind of negative possibilities.....

Actually I have never asked about his marital status becauase I wasn't sure if this is polite way to a Japanese man. For sure he is single, but I didn't ask if he's divorced or maybe he still has a wife in Japan.....

Maybe I am too sensitive at this stage but I think I have to be prepared for the worst.....

I like him but full of doubts....

Romanticism

Truth love san, 2004/11/15 04:17
I am glad that it seems my rough translation was of some use for you. I can't tell you how happy I am.
Thank you for your tolerance and kindness.
(The recognition to the present condition of my Japan is written to "Studying Bushido/Budo" in "Tradishonal".)
My friend told me that he couldn't spend a lot of time with her since he was an engineer who lived away from home on a job assignment. But, he never repent of his life. He even thinks that particular period was very important for him. It is because their love was greater from a distance.

There is a bog-standard word of "Ganbatte" in Japanese words. But, I heard that it was very difficult to translate that word. So, I send to you in Japanese.
Ganbatte kudasai.

Sincerely,

Correction 2004/11/15 04:28
"Tradishonal"..."Tradition"

Romanticism san, 2004/11/15 07:38
"I didn't ask if he's divorced or maybe he still has a wife in Japan."

A certain person said; we should enjoy being in love.
I do not deny it, and honestly,I have been envious of such persons, at a time in the past.
However, in your case, it seems that a situation is completely different.

I think you very well know what to do about it.
It is not a problem of the cultural differences, but is a problem as a human-being.
Because it has an important influence for your life, I think you had better ask directly him whether you are a married person.

Sorry, again 2004/11/15 07:55
whether you are a married person....whether he is a married person.
by OJY rate this post as useful

To: OJT san 2004/11/16 20:57
Dear OJT san,

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I ask him although I am so afraid to get an negative answer, but I will go ahead....Thanks...

Romanticism

Romanticism san, 2004/11/17 00:15
You are a wise person than an old fogey like me, and are a tender]hearted lady.
I got a big happiness from you. I also leave from J-guide, and will go ahead, too.
In closing, I would like to send you this.
Walking Tour
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood/1387/walkingtour.html

I wish your happiness, in the corner of Japan, for ever and a day.
zaijian.

To: OJT san 2004/11/17 19:59
Dear zaijian san,

Thank you so much for your nice words and the website. Although I don't understand Japanese word, I can feel and received the warmth from the website.....

Thank you again for your support, and I wish you all the best and forever.

Truly,
Romanticism

Romanticism san... 2004/11/22 02:31
I am not sure why he is being so evasive but maybe it is simply that he believes you will not be interested in him if you think he is too old. I am older than my boyfriend and sometimes I wonder how he can love me but he does! Age really shouldn't matter but maybe he really doesn't want to lose you. Maybe if you tell him that his age is irrelevant and you are just curious he will tell...maybe or maybe not. Good Luck...
by Umiko rate this post as useful

To: Umiko san..... 2004/11/27 15:24
Thanks for your advice. I really hope that he has exactly the same thinking as you.....

I have been implying age is not a matter when we are having casual chat hoping to give him confidence. It seems he got this message although he still hasn't tell me his age. Lately I have the feeling that we are getting closer and closer and I think I will just leave this age matter and up to him to tell me whenever he wants to. I think for mid age men (especially Japanese BIG men), being too pushy will just scare him away though....

I look forward to the moment when he tells me his age, which also shows his seriousness.

Bless me...

Romanticism

Sometimes a Look says it All, 2004/12/8 02:25
I dated this very caring and loving Japanese Woman, some years ago.
She never told me that she loved me in her own words, but the looks she gave me said it all!
If you wife can`t say she loves you,if she can give you that look, then be happy my friend, sometimes that Look will mean more then hearing the words"I love you".
Its The Sour and The Sweet" Vanilla Sky" lol..
Good luck..
Brah
by Brah rate this post as useful

international love... 2004/12/8 02:56
I almost agree with Dave. The first problem is becaue of the cultural difference. I am a japanese, and I have been in US for 10 months. I am surprised at Americans saying 'I love you' at many times. "I love you" in Ameica is used very frankly, I guess. For example, my roommate says that word at the end of the telephone, even if the partner is father, mother, sister or friend. "I love you" in Japan is used only for true love, and it is very embarrasing for Japanese to use that term. Don't worry, your wife might love you, just her cultural background is different from yours.

However, the second issue doesn't seem happen due to the cultural difference. Visiting husband's house should be not avoided, because it is good to know each other. I don't know why she refuses to do so. It is not the japanese culture. so please make sure have a conversation with your wife.
by punk girl rate this post as useful

international love... 2004/12/8 02:59
I almost agree with Dave. The first problem is becaue of the cultural difference. I am a japanese, and I have been in US for 10 months. I am surprised at Americans saying 'I love you' at many times. "I love you" in Ameica is used very frankly, I guess. For example, my roommate says that word at the end of the telephone, even if the partner is father, mother, sister or friend. "I love you" in Japan is used only for true love, and it is very embarrasing for Japanese to use that term. Don't worry, your wife might love you, just her cultural background is different from yours.

However, the second issue doesn't seem happen due to the cultural difference. Visiting husband's house should be not avoided, because it is good to know each other. I don't know why she refuses to do so. It is not the japanese culture. so please make sure have a conversation with your wife.
by punk girl rate this post as useful

saying it... 2004/12/8 13:24
I am certainly guilty of telling my family members that I love them. After all, the love I feel for my father is truest love one can have but admittedly a different type than what I feel for my boyfriend. I have experienced the loss of friends and family and I want my family to know I feel love for them. My boyfriend is Japanese and he says it every time we speak. When he sys it there is so much feeling there. He says it both in Japanese and in English. While I know many westerners who confuse love and infatuation but when the love is real, saying it often doesn't make the words less meaningful. At least not for me...
by hiros umi rate this post as useful

Page 5 of 15: Posts 81 - 100 of 291
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
next

reply to this thread