Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 6 of 6: Posts 101 - 107 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6

Moving to Japn 2009/6/12 13:39
Hi everyone!
I have lots of fun reading the postings, is insane how many people want to go to work as designers in Japan despite the difficulties others have described. Well I'm on the same boat, I'm a graphic designer/CG artist working in Canada, I have also lived and work in UK and now moving to Japan. This actually wasn't on plans, but as my wife is Japanese we are moving there for a while. I don't speak Japanese, but I have skills in English and Spanish as this is my first language. I'm planing to work as freelance, but it will be nice to get in contact with companies over there, good luck for everyone.
by Oscar (guest) rate this post as useful

Pay sucks 2009/9/9 17:43
I'm in Tokyo right now, and I have been looking for GD jobs for a few weeks now. What I have learned is that for some reason the Japanese do not consider GD a position worth paying for.

In San Francisco, my job was commanding 55k - 75k per year.

In Tokyo, the same job would get you 35k - 50k per year.

Tokyo is just as expensive as SF, yet the pay is soooo much lower.

Good luck to everyone, it's tough out there.
by Scott (guest) rate this post as useful

Internship Animation/Multimedia design 2010/3/19 04:57
Hello everybody,

Im Michael from the Netherlands, 19 year.
There is a problem i have and i want know if somebody knows more about this.

At the moment im studying animation/multimedia design and im looking for an internship that is nested in Japan.
I have experiences in Adobe cs3 and cs4 Flash,After Effects,Premiere, Photoshop,Ilustrator ,3d max.

A few weeks ago i began stying some Japanese to preparing for the adventure.

Does someone here knows more about this some connections/people , place i should try , information, experieces, every information is welcome

Thanks allot for reading
Hope one of you knows more and send me something back :)

my mail is m.lewerissa@gmail.com

Greetz,

Michael Lewerissa
by Michael Lewerissa (guest) rate this post as useful

Voluntary work 2010/10/18 04:35
Konnichiha (hello),

I also have thought about working in Japan and in the creative industry too.

I think taking part in voluntary work done abroad might be the way to go. They are schemes also known as "working-hoilday" scheme. They pay for your accommodations and food and might give some pocket money and you cover costs for the flight ticket. In return, you work a few hours for 4-5 days each week and on days off explore the city :)

The voluntary work abroad have many areas that might interest you, e.g. arts and crafts and you work from 2-weeks to many months.

I might try this. :)

Example:
WWOOF
They are many. Search online though be careful in choosing the company. Some are fakes.

This is good way you get a feel of how is in Japan.
Do try to learn the language beforehand becasue it will make it easier to explore the country.

I've read in Japan it is a very competitive market, filled with many top artists, illustrators, designers, so start step at a time.

It will take time to get the 'dream' job in Japan, so be patience and keep working hard.

Hope this helps.
(^_^)

by Aoi Sora (guest) rate this post as useful

please help me! 2010/10/28 18:51
hello everyone!...
I've been in Shizuoka,japan 6 months ago to study and to be Graphic Designer.i'm now attending japanese language in "shizuoka" city.
now i can read, write and talk normally! also kanji! so that, I want graphic design job as soon as possible. In my country i'd studied Multimedia ( Graphic Design and Web Design) and got a Diploma. Please tell me how can i find the Graphic Design job.

"dakara sa , yoroshiku onegai itashimasu..."
by Htet Aung rate this post as useful

wow 2010/10/29 12:27
Dint think this thread would have so many posters! I've had no luck getting a design or design-related job in Japan despite passion, and a keen desire to pursue it as a profession.
I've lived in Japan for years and have applied to and been shut down by Japanese design companies for the following reasons:

1. Unfamiliarity using JPN language versions of OS like Mac/Windows, Adobe apps - Many companies want people who can hit the ground running and will not wait for someone to "learn the ropes" or get used to using the computer.
2. Language ability - I can speak fluent Japanese for conversation, emails, and normal stuff, but Japanese design companies want someone who can FULLY explain the appeal of their company's service, products, and strengths to JAPANESE clients. That is why having anything less than near-native Japanese (I'm getting there...)is a real killer for foreign applicants and if you can barely introduce yourself after a year of part-time JPN self lessons, imagine how the company would see you perform in front of clients or when making sales pitches?
3. Skill/Portfolio - Yes, your skills are being compared to other applicants who hail from very competitive backgrounds (academies, clubs, work exp. etc.) and being a foreigner does nothing to buff your status as a candidate. Also, as mentioned above Japanese design houses serve Japanese customers and successful designers know how to reach out to consumers, audiences and deal with client demands from a Japanese cultural and business perspective. You might be a top illustrator or pshop wiz in the States, but in Japan you will be considered an amateur because you lack life experience in Japan. This is not to generalize, as there are some very open-minded design houses in Japan too.
I think your portfolio is less than half the battle in landing a design job. The bulk of work in getting a job lies in your JPN language skill, ability to present yourself to JPN clients and have rigorous discussions about expectations, deadlines, amendments, etc. You also need to prove you can sell yourself, your designs, and ideas to people who will not agree with you - all in Japanese, which leads back to the language issue.
I interviewed at 3 different design houses and each meeting ended up in rejection due to one or all of the above 3 points in varying degrees - I almost came close one time but the "other guy" could speak other languages in addition to ENG and JPN...bummer.
If possible, you should research on international design houses in Japan, that use English in the office and handle both JPN and non-JPN clientel.
Don't give up! There are so many companies out there that trying/failing 3 is hardly an effort. I eventually chose to keep design as a hobby. If you're passionate about it, learn how to express (in Japanese) that passion and your ability to add more value than the average Japanese candidate.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Designing in Japan 2011/4/26 17:10
I'm designing in Japan. Couple of things.

Lots of graphic design in Japan is awful. I'd suggest asking to see some of the company's work (put it as, you know, interest and enthusiasm) and see whether it sucks. If it sucks that is an outcome of however the company is structure, i.e., oyaji-san making the decisions, and you are likely to be frustrated. Find a place where you can really design with a good art director. That might be a global design firm that happens to have a Tokyo office.

Also, lots of design is freelance and relationship-based rather than at a studio. Introductions matter. Joining a baseball team of doctors and politicians would be a good idea. Meeting all of your wife's friends and their husbands would be a good idea.

If you apply at a company, most of it will be based on who introduced you, what their relationship is, what your educational background is, and what your work history is. (Hint, list no more than two employers. If you have a bunch, call it freelance and merge it into one listing of working for yourself.)

Don't be surprised if the payment from a company is at poverty level, around $14,000 a year. If you actually want to make good money, you either need to be at a major global agency, or else you should be doing freelance and work with introductions so you can keep 100% of the profits. Be aware that income tax laws apply to you, as well as any other laws.

There is nothing wrong with mixing some days designing and some days teaching English to your network of friends and their friends. You will probably make more actual money from the teaching. Yeah, I know, the point is to get out of teaching. Think of it as, musicians also sometimes wait tables.

Finally, lots of the design sucks on a principled level (compare any Western company and the website for it's Japan office). You'll see lots of exploding stars and bulging rounded outlines around curved text, pointless boxes, etc. A lot of people who are designing here did not go to design school. They just know some software and got a job.

If you believe in your dream, you can do it. I suggest you focus on relationships and freelance. If you become some company's bitch, chances are it will be disappointing. If you instead associate yourself with successful designers (sometimes called "makers" or "producers") who are more authorial, then you can work on a total project and own the whole thing. It carries significant risks, just like any venture.

Good luck and try hard! The language should not be too much a big deal, especially in Tokyo, especially at a high level where you just have to communicate or let someone convey the communication for you in the Japanese way.

by Adam (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 6 of 6: Posts 101 - 107 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6

reply to this thread