Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 62 of 233: Posts 1221 - 1240 of 4652
prev
1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 233
next

Reply 2009/2/28 23:44
Hi Uco.. long time no hear ! Thank you for the book reference, I will look it up. Please, you are not barging in, as you know we have had a wonderful and lengthy conversation on this thread and I remember you well from the "early days" [ my memory is better than my spelling eh?] I remember your plastic flower. I have followed some of the other posts you have made in the main site, you always seem to be the voice of reason. It looks as if this thread has run its course, we will see.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Hey Peter 2009/3/1 00:16
Hope the thread doesn't end.
Looks as if things are heating up regarding North Korea and Japan.
There's no negotiating with these people apparently.
by hawkeye san (guest) rate this post as useful

Woodwork 2009/3/1 01:51
Well look who's surfaced. Seems like Eric is more up to date on world affairs than I am,oopps. Nice to know you made it through the winter, well from what I hear its not over yet. Its been getting better here, now for mud season. Did I tell you about our little "reunion" that I'm thinking about? You'll have to ask, [ I'm going to play hard to get]. Yea, right.

Uco - the book 2009/3/2 05:19
I looked up "Return of the Black Ships" by Decker - it was published in 1978 and it sounds really interesting thanks for suggesting it. Strangely enough the NYC Library doesn't have it. Will see if the Mass. system has it when we get up there in the spring. Hope everyone is well. A little snow here in NYC.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Article 2009/3/3 04:45
The following opinion piece about present-day Japan and its current economic problems is very interesting - written by Masaru Tamamoto, who is a senior fellow at the World Policy Institute.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/opinion/02tamamoto.ht...

Peter-san 2009/3/3 11:55
Here is a story about the 106th that you can tell the Marine, I was there.

It was late one February afternoon at Kishine Barracks, and the sky was pink and white with puffs of black clouds. A jagged golden streak of light separated the brown hills in the West from the sky above. As the light was waning four Medevac helicopters picked their way to the 106th amid the jumbled mass of buildings and houses that surrounded the compound. They landed safely on the helicopter pad, one in each corner, with their blades auto gyrating, and blowing dust and loose papers around in the cold crisp air.

Four choppers on the pad, the maximum it could hold, and each one carried two severely burned survivors of a Vietcong attack on U.S. Army armored personnel carriers. The wounded had been rushed to an aid station in Vietnam where they were stabilized, then loaded onto an Air Force Nightingale Flight (DC-7), jetted to Yokota Air Base, Tokyo, and then to Kishine Barracks--all in a matter of hours. They arrived with attending Army medics and two doctors from Vietnam, who were still in their stained, short-sleeved tropical uniforms.

Hospital corpsmen were pulled from every ward to unload the choppers, and off-duty medics in the mess hall and barracks were recruited, as there were eight patients requiring thirty-two litter bearers. The hospital commander, the chief nurse, and doctors and nurses were at the pad before the choppers arrived, and they were ready for action.

I was one of the corpsmen recruited for litter duty, and I grabbed my field jacket as I followed Sergeant McCloskey and two other corpsmen out the door of the orthopedic ward, and rushed to the chopper pad across the street. We were directed to a big gray-green Huey with its blades slowing to a stop, and its big side door sliding open. An Army doctor and medic from the Nam jumped down and started pulling a litter out the door, and I stopped in my tracks--there was a basketball lying on top of the litter at one end.

Some dummy had let the patient bring his basketball--I couldn't believe it! Who would waste valuable time to bring along a basketball? Sgt. McCloskey yelled for me to keep moving, and I got the end of the litter with the basketball. The litter occupant was really big. He was Caucasian with a Vietnam tan. But, it wasn't a basketball--it was his head! The poor guy was big because his body was swollen, and his head was swollen as big as a basketball--there were only slits where his eyes, nose and mouth were supposed to be.

We ran with the litter as fast as we could to the Burn Ward (The 106th was the Burn Center of the Pacific). I did what they told me to do, which wasn't much. I was a new medic, a medic in training. I watched two doctors work on my patient, along with nurses, clinical techs and experienced corpsmen. When they told me to get something I got it, but mostly I just watched--and prayed. A couple of hours went by, I guess, and I was told to go to dinner and to hurry back. I did. I ate fast. Everybody did. When I came back the two doctors were still working on the basketball soldier, but a nurse told me it was hopeless, and he died soon after. I am not exactly sure, but I think my patient was the only one of the eight that died. But, let me tell you, I saw heroics in action that day--I saw two doctors, some nurses and clinical techs do everything humanly possible to keep that soldier alive. And I saw all kinds of emotion--anger, frustration, etc., and last of all tears, not big tears, just little bits of moisture flashing in their eyes when they knew it was over.

I saw that medical machine go into action many times after that, and there were many, many more wounded soldiers saved at the 106th than ever died there.

by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

kishine 2009/3/4 00:26
Wally I don't know what to say really. Your story strikes of the horrors of war and the kindness of doctors medics and nurses that I was only barely aware of. I am not going to tell him this story. I am going to print it out and present it to him. I could never relate this in a way that would be meaningful because I was not there. I asked you for a story, and there are many more like them I sure. I not sure that it was wise for me to do that, for I will be thinking about this all day. Thank you for giving this to me [ and all of us here]. Accross town, in Yokohama there was a sp4 that was inspecting vegetables, and looking forward to going to the Peanuts Club. Puts thing in perspective. If you know what I mean. Not sure I could have hacked it, but today I wished I had done more. Burn units. I was on vacation once in Purto Rico ran into a nice woman by the pool at night and got into a conversation. It came around to what we did, after much avoidance I told her I was an animal cruelty investigator in New Hampshire, she was shocked. But not as much as I was, she was a burn nurse in a hospital for terminal children. Stay in touch.

Peter-san 2009/3/4 04:16
Don't minimize the importance of your job in the Army, because you kept us from getting sick on our food. How could we have performed our duties if we were getting sick from the vegetables? Also, keeping animals from being abused is an admirable career. I watched a TV series the other night about serial killers, and the one thing they all had in common was that they were cruel to animals when they were children.

I want to correct something on my 106th story: the Nightingale was a DC-9 not at DC-7.

Italian Gardens bar in Yokohama 1974. 2009/3/4 06:24
Hello bcurry1 on page 61 of this thread. My family owned the Italian Gardens, IG annex and the Ricksha Room. I worked at IG in 1974 as manager/bartender. They still own the Ricksha Room. IG and IG Annex were torn down in 1990s when city modernized D avenue. I sm sure that you knew my uncle.
Steve Baker
by steve baker (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/4 10:57
Wally Thank you for that but its really not the same. Yes we all had out part. In retrospect the food procurement, wholesome wise would go along just fine without us, we were there just to keep the system straight. I got sick on food once in Yokohama .. no not on isezaki- cho from some street vendor.. ate at pleanty of those. No it was at North pier in the commessary that was " spotless".. man was I sick.. but you know the army, unless your dead you go to work. Got to watch the egg salad. Barf-ola. Sometime when I see you..ok maybe not next summer.. I will tell you about animal cruelty investigations in the 70's and 80's when we were thought of as a bunch of nuts. Come a long way since then. Have done much yucky stuff involving animals.. much can't really speak of.. certainly not here. Keep up the good work..ooops, your retired, hey, in your "spare time" drop in sometime like July? Yes you can bite me for that.. I hate it when someone presumes that another has spare time. To You! Peter

Reading Japanese 2009/3/5 12:18
Thought some of you might enjoy the following - an article about how difficult it is to read the Japanese language, so that even the prime minister has difficulties with it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090304/ap_on_re_as/as_japa...

Spelling 2009/3/6 07:49
And I thought I had problems.
Thanks Steffi, enjoyed the article. Hope all is well with you guys.

Steffi 2009/3/6 09:54
The site said that you needed to know 2,000 characters and recognize an additional 50,000 to read a newspaper, but a Japanese friend once told me that you needed to know 40,000 Conji just to read a newspaper.

Japanese newspapers 2009/3/6 23:26
I think it takes knowledge of about 4,000 characters to read a Japanese newspaper and most papers are written to comply with this reading level, which is about an 8th grade education.
I could read numbers and some characters representing the words for favorite food or snacks were familiar to me when I lived there. Over the years, I have just about lost track of the language.
About 20 years ago, wife and i were down in Mexico, on a beach at Ixtapa when I overheard a Japanese man speaking to his wife. Without thinking, I greeted him with a "good morning," and asked how he was feeling that morning (in Japanese.) the poor man nearly fell out of his chair; the last thing he was expecting was a "good morning" from an American while vacationing in Mexico.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Eric 2009/3/6 23:56
My friend may have mis-spoke and said 40,000 when he really meant 4,000 Conji. He also told me that if you take the character for woman and put three of them together it means "noisy." Is that right?

Japanese 2009/3/7 00:03
The only Japanese I could write was my name, not sure I could do it now. I did some reading on the evolution of Kanji from Chinese to Japanese but honestly it didn't make much sense. I wonder if any culture has just come to the piont to say, hey our own writing just doesn't work, we'll adopt this other one. Once Karu [ remember him] put me onto a link of how the Japanese write on a keyboard.. didn't get that either. I once tried to explain the 26 letters in the alphabet to some Japanese friends. The way that they looked at each other i think that they didn't think that any language could be written out with just so few characters. they said no more ?? I think they thought that there must be more to english than that, put a few words together, cat dog ect to illustrate .. we went and flew kites instead. I'm not sure I'm the best teacher of English.. first you have to know how to spell eh? I wonder how Karu is doing. Our "little project" here is comming along and sometime we will need a Japanese Rep. [ blogger] I think I can find his old E mail address.

Honmoku base camp, 1980s 2009/3/7 02:46
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Again 2009/3/7 02:52
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter-san 2009/3/7 09:37
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently presented the Russian Ambassador with a red button with an inscription translated into Russian that was spelled wrong. Forgive me for asking you, Peter, but I feel that I must--you don't happen to work for the State Department do you?

Pictures of Yokohama in 1980's 2009/3/7 12:42
Okay, let's not pick on Peter. He's just too smart, and busy, to worry about little things like spelling!

Regarding the messages put in above by "...Guest", the first is totally in Japanese, but the second has wonderful pictures of various spots in Yokohama, I think. Isn't that when Lori was in Japan? If she's still looking in - these pictures should interest her.

Page 62 of 233: Posts 1221 - 1240 of 4652
prev
1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 233
next

reply to this thread