Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 69 of 233: Posts 1361 - 1380 of 4652
prev
1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 233
next

Dave 2009/4/20 21:37
They cleaned the Peanut Bar ??? Well I never ! The place didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. I even wondered about the glasses.
You have a very unique perspective on Yokohama having been there at two different eras
Hey Wally-san you got a pix of the Peanut club to post ?
As to the street..will think on that but not sure I have a clue. There was Honmuku-dori otherwise known as hunky-dori but that isn't the one I think your looking for.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Motomachi Area 2009/4/20 21:50
Dave.. You asked about the area. You lived in the high rent district.
I lived accross the canal from Motomachi on the edge of Chinatown for about 6 months.
Want a trip.. go to page 48 of this forum and look at Yohohama Docks. My apartment in the house on the right. Other photos may intrest you.

Dave 2009/4/21 05:39
So they would close one of the bars in the Peanut Club to clean it, and all this time I thought they were just trying to get rid of me. Did you ever go to the Red Shoes Bar in Chinatown? All brances of the service went there, and we really had some great fights (I was Army). Even one of our doctors got in a fight with a Marine there one night. My bar scene was: Kishine NCO Club, Koran, The Bus, Zebra Club, Seaside Club, Peanut Club, Cow Bell, Red Shoes, Tasagara, VFW, and every other bar in Yokohama.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Peanuts 2009/4/21 06:34
Peter,
Great pictures. Thanks for the link. I can remember the canal boats from 54 when I lived there as a kid. The economy was way down then and a dollars worth of yen went a long way. Charcoal was how most meals were cooked and cars were rare. Bicycles and three-wheeled motorcycle trucks were common. When I returned in 65 everything had changed and Yokohama was booming and much cleaner. It was a great town both times.
Dave
by Dave Horne (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama Navy Exchange 2009/4/21 06:45
Yokohama Navy Exchange was in Honmoku. Present day MYCAL Honmoku Shopping Center.

by Blackberry (guest) rate this post as useful

More Peanuts 2009/4/21 07:06
Wally,
I actually didn't spend a lot of time in Bars in Yokohama but I do remember Peanuts. I celebrated New Years Eve and welcomed in 1965 there and dropped by a few other times. I had an advantage on things to do having previously lived in Yokohama. I only went to the Zebra Club one time, because a girl I met wanted to go there. I never heard of any of the other places you mentioned but may have hit some of them. I was a regular at the Bar Brother in Yamato during the week and hit Yokohama and Tokyo on the weekends. I remember a bar in Honmoku but can't remember the name. I've seen reference to the Rickshaw. This might have been the same place with a different name. There was a little coffee shop called the Yankee Doodle about the same place in 55 that we used to go to from Yohi.
Dave

Sums it up 2009/4/21 07:29
Dave Says.. I recall a bar in Honmoku but don't remember its name. Yes Dave,
this is a refrain that echos in my memory, ah.. how many times i've said that.. Wally too eh?
Repeteing myself for Dave but. Do you remember a group called the Voltage? Were "friends" of mine played at the Peanut Bar. I still don't believe that they cleaned the place. Perhaps a change of shift for the cockroaches.
Wally photo? of peanut available ?
Hang in there Dave were a rough crowd. Ever climb Mt Fuji ? Marine I met was at Camp Fuji, said the brass would not let them climb it.. too dangerious ?? I climbed it once.. the mama-sans passed me like I was standing still, the were humping supplies to the summit.

also 2009/4/21 07:33
... much cleaner in 65 ? People tell me that it was pretty filthy then. I was there 67-69 Army..enlisted.. had a tough job.. food inspector.. someone had to do it.

Mt. Fuji & Other Fun Places 2009/4/21 12:10
Peter,
I wish I had a list of all the bars I've visited and forgotten. I don't remember a band called Voltage but I can't remember the names of any bands. All I remember is that they all seemed to have some cute josans singing or dancing or both. I probably didn't pay attention to them otherwise.
I can't believe you let some Marine BS you that Mt. Fuji was too dangerous to climb. I climbed it with my Boy Scout troop in 55 when I was 12. Took nearly a whole day to climb and about two hours to come back down. We were also passed by the porters that ran up Fuji with supplies.
I did a 50 mile hike in 65 when that was all the rage in the Marine Corps. We went from Atsugi to some place twenty-five miles away and then returned. The trip back seemed a lot longer than the trip out. Climbing Mt. Fuji again would have been a lot easier.
Dave

Fuji Climb 2009/4/21 12:30
Dave.. well..he said that they were not allowed to climb the mountain because the year before a couple of people had died on it during an attempt. I suspect that this attempt was in the winter or some other off season time. It did seem improbable to me at the time but many things the military did and does do not make sense. I also thought that because the mountain was right there that this was some test that the marine commanders were giving the troops to teach them how to be patient. I can't believe how frustrating it would be for a marine [ or anyone else] to be at the base of the mountain[ as camp Fuji was] and not be allowed to climb it. I see him occasionally and will ask him again. Gulliables travels. ie: I tend to believe most things.
Seems strange that there should be fights in bars as Wally mentioned. We all were having such a good time and so glad to be alive and well that it just didn't even cross the minds of people I hung out with.
Did you go "down south" from Yokohama? That was a pretty tough time for a lot of people.
In another note, on the news tonight saw a clip from Yokohama, they were celebrating the aniversery of Capt Perrys landing. There was a huge robotic spider down by the docks by a place called the Red Brick Warehouse. I worked a very short distance from there and passed it every day to work at Center Pier. Apparently this brick warehouse survived the bombings in WW2.
Dave, did you have a speciality in the Marines? Funny, I don't recall seeing any marines the whole time there.

Welcome Blackberry 2009/4/21 21:58
Welcome to the Japan Guide!
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji 2009/4/21 22:33
My Scout troop climbed Fujiyama in 1960 but it seemed like it took longer and one day. I had a walking stick from the climb for many years until it was destoyed in a house fire in 1966.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji 2009/4/21 23:52
Me and some buddies took an old steam train to Gotemba. When we went through tunnels the cars filled up with smoke. We rode up to the fifth station of Mt. Fuji on a bus, and that is as far as we got as it is hard to climb a mountain and drink Kirin beer at the same time. I still have my stick from Mt. Fuji, and I can always lie and tell people I climbed all the way to the top, because around here they can't read conji.

Rikisha Room 2009/4/22 00:20
Dave-san

The bar to which you went is "Rikisha Room". Square pizza is good taste. It was redecorated there several years ago. This link is a picture before it redecorates. Do you remember there were a tailor and a pet shop next to Rikisha?

http://www.j-area2.com/hama/honmoku/ricksharoom.html
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Mt Fuji 2009/4/22 07:16
Oh Wally-san there you go again ! What do you mean that you can't climb Fuji and drink Beer at the same time.. I did ! Now I can recall why it took me so long. I still have my Fuji Pole is in the corner of my living room and it has the Shinto Priests marks on the top.I wonder how you [ Wally-san] got the brandings on yourpole if you didn't climb the mountain ? As I recall [ between beers, and they said to travel light !] the brandings were done at the stations and some in between. I keep looking on E bay for someone to be selling theirs [ there must be thousands out there.] Have never found even one. I guess people hold onto them.
I am saddened for Eric as he lost his in a fire.. time to go and get another! With all the Japanese know how, they could put a tramway up there for the old timers.. not me of course. I suppose that would wreck it, and anger the shinto gods,[ ok Peter lets not reveal the topic of your book. ]
Wally-san, I'm sorry you missed out on a world class event being on the summit at sunrise. But man was it cold. Even on the 20th of July 1969, I'll repete myself
this was the day of the moon landing. I met a couple of guys [ Kama seya?] that had a transistor radio tuned into the fareast [ farout] network, they said hey hey its going to happen.. right now.. I didn't remember what was going on... then ... tranquility base here .. the Eagle has landed, we were extatic! Whooped it up !! the Japanese would have put us into straight jackets if they would have had them! After I translated it [ poorly I recon] they understood and there was a lot of handshaking and bowing going on. One Japanese man thanked ME for doing this!? What a good time and the highlight of my stay in Japan. I expect Kaoru can see Fuji-san out of his back door Ne?
Hey Kaoru.. did you get to see the big robot spider ? at the Red brick warehouse? Very cool.. like Kaoru..

Mt. Fuji 2009/4/22 07:36
Peter-san,
All I know is I got a stick from Mt. Fuji, I'm looking at it right now, and it has eight stamps on it. There is a red stamp with a picture of Mt. Fuji and it says 2400 M. Maybe I took it away from some kid. Did I mention I was drinking beer at the time?
Wally

Mt. Fuji 2009/4/22 09:16
Peter-san

I did not see the robot of big spider in the brick warehouse yet. It arrived from France. There is a communication base in "Kami Seya". I went there several times with father.I cannot see Mt.Fuji from my house, Because big apartment was constructed near my house.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Fuji stick 2009/4/22 09:22
OK pulled my climbing stick out. Has 18 "regular" stamps on it plus the two red ones at the very top that were put on by the shinto priests at the summit. One stamp says 1969 others say 3100m 2600m a tori gate or two and much kanji that I can't read and one that I don't remember seeing before 1968,
I got ripped off!! the guy used the previous years stamp! I guess I was too huffing and of course knowing me then .. puffing ..
to see this. Ran into a lady at our shop reciently who lived in Japan for about a year, she climbed Fuji and her stick had a flag and a bell on it. Mine was and is plain. I'll show you mine if you show me yours ?
Sounds like you made it partway up and turned back..
By the way.. Kirin is the best. I bought some a couple of years ago in a local packie [ local term ] It must have had perseratives in it, was awful. Import ?? or perhaps just my "memory taste ". I would now love to have the fuji stick translated, perhaps I,m cynical probably says "good luck stupid."

Correction 2009/4/22 10:08
Man did I mess up!!!
The previous post was Peters
NOT Wallys, I thought I was tired tonight but this is inexcuseable!! What can I do to make it up to you. [ I can't wait]

Fuji Stick 2009/4/22 13:48
My stick had a Japanese flag with the elevation written under the sun. My stick got busted in the move back and was thrown out, or so I was told.
Dave

Page 69 of 233: Posts 1361 - 1380 of 4652
prev
1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 233
next

reply to this thread