Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 7 of 7: Posts 121 - 129 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sayuki's age 2008/1/9 22:37
If she was born in 1961, then she is at least 46 years old- rather a lot older than the traditional trainee geisha- that's interesting.
by Sira rate this post as useful

hmmm? 2008/1/16 03:55
The movie had me cringing actually. I don't understand why these girls want to be a geisha because of the movie. The life of a geisha is twisted Hollywood fashion in that movie.
by Rin rate this post as useful

shamisen?????? 2008/2/17 01:22
hello, my name is payton and I just got a shamisen recently and I was wondering if there is books (in english) that teach you it, or movies. I really want to learn it is such an interesting instrument and I can't wait until I can play beautifully. Also I live in the United States and in Arizona and if anyone nows that there is schools that teach shamisen lessons or teaching japanese or even japanese dance!!! I really really want to learn that too. so if you know anything about helping me learn either things let me know. by emailing me. payton_calderon@hotmail.com
by Payton rate this post as useful

There is someone else!!! 2008/3/23 01:03
Hello, i was just stopping by to say that you are just like me in the sense of wanting to be a geisha. My family doesnt approve of my strong desire to be a geisha but i do not care, this is my dream. I also posted something on the forum. It was "Can african americans become geisha?" So I advise that u be like me and go for what you want if u really want it, with much love and encouragement to ya!!!!
by yasmeen rate this post as useful

sayuki 2008/7/3 02:08
there has actually a non-japanese woman named sayuki she is from austrailia and she is now a geisha in tokyo. i think the shimbashi district. Which this gives hope to other inspiring non-japanese woman around the world. But in my opinion the tokyo geisha are quite different from the kyoto geiko. And i hear it's easier to get into the tokyo.

but the miyagawa-cho district in kyoto is heard to be more open to change. So sooner or later there will probably be one.

haha hopefully me!!!
by Payton rate this post as useful

Scroll back 2008/7/3 08:20
Sayuki was being discussed just above, Payton. It can't be that easy though for a foreigner to become a geisha in Tokyo if Sayuki is the only one who has done it and it took her until she was 46.
by SHU rate this post as useful

to become a maiko 2008/7/4 05:18
The organization Ookini Zaidan, who officially manages all matters related to geisha and maiko in Kyoto, has a site with a window called "the 10 conditions to become a maiko" and will provide further (serious) information.

The address is http://www.kyoto-gion-corner.info/index_fr.html

Being Japanese is NOT a requirement, but age is: between 15 and 17... which means that if parents are against it, even for a Japanese girl, chances are nill.

The reason why I am posting this address is that I am now 60, have a happy family, a PhD, a successful job... but still feel today the sadness of having had to give up my own geisha dream.

Because if what you seek is that specific outlook on life that geisha life implies (or impliED, in the past?) nothing on this planet can replace it.

But... do the Japanese who have posted replies realize that if the unique traditions they inherited were not, among other things, outstanding training for the brain, Japan, with zero natural resources and all odds against it, could not possibly have risen to its consistently prominent position in the modern world?

junio
by junio rate this post as useful

10 Conditions to be Maiko 2008/9/4 02:41
10 Conditions to be Maiko

All girls must have being interested in the life of maiko at least once.

http://kyoto-gion-corner.info/ookini_en/10conditions.html
by worldwide.projects rate this post as useful

Stop bringing up Liza Dalby. 2010/7/23 21:47
People are bringing up Liza Dalby as an example of how non-japanese can become geisha.

Liza Dalby already spoke the language fluently, had lots of contacts in Japan, mastered the etiquette.
What I could tell from her book was that she was from from non-japanese descent, but from a very young age was already getting accustomed to the manners & such.
Also, she became geisha for different reasons; it was to study. She never intended to stay a geisha.

I will not say it is impossible to become a geisha or a maiko. Especially now that there are so little girls that still want to become maiko or geiko.
BUT the time it would take to learn Japanese fluently is long, and by that time, you will probably already be too old to be maiko.
You could become geiko maybe, but even then you would have to master conversation to a point where it seems Japanese is your native, to actually be found interesting by the guests.
I think many girl, including myself, dreamed of becoming maiko, but in real life, it is insanely hard to accomplish.
by M. (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 7 of 7: Posts 121 - 129 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

reply to this thread