Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 70 of 233: Posts 1381 - 1400 of 4652
prev
1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 233
next

Rikisha Room 2009/4/22 14:28
Kaoru-san,
Rikisha Room same-same bar? Small world! My old girlfriend is probably not still running it.
Next time I'm in Yokohama I will stop in for some good taste square pizza.
I don't remember a tailor or pet store but I do remember a small Japanese restaurant around the corner that was open late at night.
Found another link for RIKISHARUMU. Same place?
Dave-san
http://74.125.93.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://w...
by Dave Horne (guest) rate this post as useful

re: Fuji Climb 2009/4/22 14:58
Peter-san,
Those guys at Camp Fuji had pretty soft duty and probably weren't allowed to do anything that might injure them.
I can't imagine a bar fight in Japan unless it was a bunch of FNGs. I was in a couple of pretty good ones in other countries but not because I particuarly wanted to be in them.
On 9 July 1965 I caught a plane to Danang, RVN and never returned to Atsugi.
I did get back to Iwakuni, Japan for two more tours but both times I checked in and then got on another plane headed south, stayed a year and then flew back to Iwakuni where I checked out and caught another plane back to the states. I got back to Yokohama for an afternoon in 73. I flew into Tokyo and had a couple hours before I had to catch a train to Iwakuni so I visited Yokohama. Many more good changes since 1965. Haven't been back since.
Dave-san

Ricksha Room 2009/4/22 19:40
Dave-san

Yes, the bar is Ricksha Room. I made a mistake in the word. It established in 1962. A famous bar in Yokohama. The name of a place there call "Kominato" of Honmoku. I am favorite in the salty dog@there. The manager of Ricksha seems to have been originally a woman in the Netherlands, the bartender said to me.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

FNG'S ? 2009/4/23 01:30
Sorry dave don't know what a FNG is.. perhaps you might not want to post it as I have a guess, naughty words eh?
Man did you get around! If you choose to say [ some do some don't] where are you
now ? I live in New Hampshire which is now very nice after a nasty winter.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

re: Ricksha Room 2009/4/23 01:47
Kaoru-san,
You did not make a mistake in the name Ricksha. Your English is very good. Much better than my Japanese which is dame-dame.
I like Rickisha much better han Ricksha and I especially enjoyed finding RICKISHARUMU on the web. Actually, in English, rickshaw is the more common spelling but ricksha is also correct.
In 1965 my friend who ran the bar was a young Japanese woman.
We would call a woman in the Netherlands a Dutch woman and we also call the Netherlands - Holland. I visited Amsterdam years ago and it is a great city but not as great as Yokohama.
Dave-san

re: FNG'S ? 2009/4/23 02:01
Peter-san,
FNG = Foolish New Guy.
I now live in Alexandria, Virginia. I'm three miles from the Pentagon and five miles from the White House.
I used to travel to Nashua, NH in the late 70s to visit Sanders Associates, a company that made equipment for the military. We would travel to Nashua in the summer and the people from Sanders would travel to Washington in the winter.
Dave-san

Dave-san 2009/4/23 08:29
I think I know what FNG stands for--the N stands for Navy and the G stands for Guys, right? Is that the standard nickname Marines have for the Navy? That's funny! What did you call the Army guys? I've heard Army guys call Marines "Jarheads," but not to their face. The Red Shoes Bar is about the only place where I saw more than one fight. I never was in one there myself, I had a reserved seat under one of the tables when a fight broke out.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Ah So 2009/4/23 11:28
FNG's and I thought it would be a nasty phrase. Arlington Va. Nice place to stay away from in the summer. Went to DC once or twice on the 4th humid ? hot ? oh yea. Otherwise quite nice I hear.
Yokohama was hot also, but the base had a pool. Very nice but a long way from my little Japanese apartment.
I bekieve "jarhead" is a new term no ? What do you call a marine.. sir.. Hey Wal-san.. tell him the "what time is it in military terms joke" the one on Armed forces raido. Could not steal your thunder. Wally under the table. Good move .. figures..
Found myself there a couple of times too.. culprit.. Whiskey co-co's.

Re: Dave-san & Ah So 2009/4/23 14:23
Saying "foolish new guys" is kind of like saying SNAFU = "situation normal, all fouled up." There is a more common military defination for both.
Jarheads is an old name that sailors used to describe Marines derived from the barracks covers that seagoing Marines wore when in dress blue uniform. Seagoing bellhops was another common name. Generally neither would cause offense if used in a friendly manner. We called sailors swabbies or squids. We called the Army doggies and the Air Force zoomies.
Whiskey co-co is a new term to me. We had a lot of guys in 64 who would order Tori & Coke or the slightly more expensive Suntori & Coke. I think they were 100 Yen and 120 Yen. I preferred Kirin Beer, 200 Yen if I recall. Still do. I get it at a Japanese restaurant in nearby Shirlington staffed by Koreans who give me a blank look if I say something in Japanese.
The Red Shoes sounds like a great place but I missed it. There were so many places and so little time.
Dave-san

Service rivalry 2009/4/23 23:32
I wouldn't give a bean
To be a fancy pants Marine
I'd rather be a dog faced soldier like I am.

I wouldn't trade my ODs
For all the Navy's dungarees
I'm just a fighting son of Uncle Sam.

--3rd ID song
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Service rivalry 2009/4/24 00:26
Eric-san,
Good song. Here's more.
http://www.stewart.army.mil/3didweb/Dog%20Face%20Soldie...
Dave-san

Dave, this one's for you. 2009/4/24 00:31
At Peter's behest. I was listening to the Far East Radio Network one Saturday morning in 1968, and the radio announcer said: "The time is now 8:00 o'clock a.m.; for Army and Air Force personnel it is 0800; for Navy personnel it is eight bells; and for you Marines, the big hand is on the twelve and the little hand is on the eight. I swear!

Joke 2009/4/24 06:17
Thanks wal-san great joke, glad YOU told it, I try and avoid conflicts with marines, if yoo know what I mean so Dave..please punch out Wally not me .. but... what is a behest?
by Peter [Dog-san] (guest) rate this post as useful

Sat AM ? 2009/4/24 09:09
Wally was awake at 8 am Saturday ? Hard to believe, As I recall,... I don't recall anything after a friday night on the town in Yokohama
More like 1PM for me, [ Just in time to go to Kamakura and find a beach party. ]

Peter-san 2009/4/24 12:10
At 0800, or when the big hand was on the twelve and the little hand was on the eight, I was just getting back to Hakuraku Mansion from the Peanut Club, and as I collapsed onto my futon, I turned the radio on. Behest: a hest is an order and Be is a prefix meaning with. As opposed to ante- which would be before the hest, which wouldn't make sense.

Hun ? 2009/4/24 14:14
Oh now I think I got it.. a behest is a request only the re is a be and the quest is a hest.. boy am I glad I got that right. Time for another whiskey co-co. Which it seems I am the only one who remembers those.. and I see that Dave isn't laughing at your joke. Marines have a sense of humor.. don't they..? I'm gald I'm a doggy boy.. I've been looking for my identity. Ever see the first 10 minutes of Full Metal Jacket? OOraah ! I cooda been one iffen I wasn't such a whimp.

The big hand and the little hand 2009/4/24 17:31
I think we had some guys who could only count to four so a twelve hour clock was challenging. They marched the rest of us. Sailors were smarter, they could count up to eight bells.
I found a great map of Yokohama. It's pdf, might take awhile to load.
Dave-san
http://www.city.yokohama.lg.jp/naka/english/wardoffice/...

Reading 2009/4/24 23:18
I went to US Army basic training at Ft. Gordon Georgia, actually had a great time, where else can you go shooting on someone elses ammo.. anyway I was surprised to find that there were only two of us in the platoon that had college. Some[ perhaps most? ] hadn't finished high school. Not uncommon to see guys that couldn't read. They had a reading class to help those guys out. I became a friend of one black guy from.. not sure now, Alabama? I wrote a letter for him to his family. Also once they called out for those that couldn't swim. One guy that I didn't know stepped forward and they chewed him out as he was from Hawaii. They assumed that everyone from Hawaii could swim. He told them that he lived on a pineapple plantation and that he hadn't even seen the water until he was 12. Interesting pre-conceived notions.
Thanks for the map Dave.. appreciate the thought.. it crashed my computer. Which way to the doggie house.

Map 2009/4/25 04:29
I was able to pop the map open and see Sankien Gardens. No clue as to where we lived.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reading 2009/4/25 06:19
Peter-san,
The map didn't crash your computer. It is a HUGE pdf and file looks like it crashed your computer while it's loading. If you have broadband it will take about a minute and if you have dialup it will probably take an hour. Try loading it when you don't plan to use your computer for awhile. It's the best map I've found.
I Can't say I enjoyed boot camp but I wouldn't trade my experience at Parris Island for anything. I was one of the people who joined the military without a high school diploma but I acquired an engineering degree twelve years later by taking advantage of some of the opportunities that were available. The other opportunity was travel. By the time I got to Yokohama in 65 as a sergeant with five years in the Marine Corps I had been in over a dozen countries and snorkeled and scuba-dived in many places in the Mediterranean and Caribbean Seas. It sure beat living in Newark, New Jersey where the draft board had designs on me and the police were convinced that I looked Italian and therefore suspicious. Actually, the police were friendlier when I came back from Parris Island with a haircut.
Shooting was one of the few joys in the Marine Corps although I learned later that it quit being fun when someone was shooting back. I got to fire every weapon in the small-arms inventory and some of the bigger stuff. I trained people on the M-60 machine gun when it was introduced and fired more ammo with it than everything else combined. My all-time favorite weapon was the BAR.
Dave-san

Page 70 of 233: Posts 1381 - 1400 of 4652
prev
1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 233
next

reply to this thread