Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 72 of 233: Posts 1421 - 1440 of 4652
prev
1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 233
next

Tyhoon 2009/4/27 02:49
Peter-sama

Apparently, it seems not to be able to link here with the typhoon of Kamikaze. They were links of the sad Pacific War. I'm sorry. Please search for the link including this URL(tyfoon).
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Is this it? 2009/4/27 03:59
I found 2 references. One to a god called.. Haya-Ji.. and another called Fujin. Is it either of these? or possibably both?
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Kamikaze (typhoon)'s copy from wiki 2009/4/27 04:35
Kamikaze (typhoon)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Kamikaze (disambiguation).
The Kamikaze (ÉñïL, Japanese for divine wind), were a pair or series of typhoons that are said to have saved Japan from two Mongol fleets under Kublai Khan that attacked Japan in 1274 and again in 1281. The latter is said to have been the largest attempted naval invasion in history whose scale was only recently eclipsed in modern times by the D-Day invasion of allied forces into Normandy in 1944.

The first invasion devastated the Japanese. The battle took place on the beaches where the two forces met. The Mongols had several advantages; The Japanese were overwhelmed and began to retreat. Not knowing they had won, the Mongols feared the Japanese were coming back with reinforcements and also retreated.

During the time period between the first and second invasion, the Japanese built walls to protect themselves from future invaders.

Seven years later, the Mongols returned. They found themselves unable to find any suitable landing beaches due to the walls. The fleet stayed afloat for months as they depleted their supplies and searched for an area to land. After months of being exposed to the elements, the fleet was destroyed by a great typhoon. The Japanese called it Kamikaze. The Mongols never returned. The Japanese were saved by the walls they had built and nature's fury.

In popular Japanese myths at the time, the god Raijin was the god who turned the storms against the Mongols. Other variations say that the god F¨±jin or Ry¨±jin caused the destructive kamikaze.

Recent research has found that other causes contributing to the invasion's failure included:

Many of the ships were requisitioned river craft with flat bottoms and wobbly masts, and thus unstable in rough sea.
Some of the ships had been poorly made, perhaps as the result of deliberate sabotage by Chinese shipbuilders who resented their Mongol conquerors.
The name given to the storm, kamikaze, was later used during World War II as nationalist propaganda for suicide attacks by Japanese pilots. This use of kamikaze has come to be the common meaning of the word in English.

Raijin 2009/4/27 12:10
OK.. I think I found what I was looking for it was Raijin. Thanks! OK.. another question, sorry. Please tell me the difference in the use of the words.. Kami.. and Shin ? Are they used the same or differently? I appreciate the help.. hide your bellybutton !! [ Wally has no idea what this is about]

Kami&Shin 2009/4/27 13:27
"Kami" and "Shin" are same meanings. It is god of Shintoism. Kami is On-yomi and Shin is Kun-yomi. This explanation is a little difficult. Kanji was handed down by China. And, both parties came to be said in Japan the pronunciation.

On and Kun-yomi 2009/4/27 13:39
Peter-san;

On-Yomi and Kun-yomi of the Chinese character are written in detail here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Raijin. 2009/4/28 00:46
Peter-san, What do you mean "Wally has no idea what this is about?" I was thinking the other day that Kami and Shin mean the same thing. And, if it has anything to do with the bellybutton, Ho Tai must be involved. Actually, I haven't got a clue!
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Hotei 2009/4/28 12:03
Wally-san
Oh My, I have misjudged you. It has actually has quite a little to do with Hotei, I wasn't aware that you had that much knowledge about Japanese mythology. or prehaps you equated Hotei with Hotel, in which case I am sure you are an expert. I would love to get your thoughts on Japanese Creation Myth.

Kaoru-san 2009/4/28 13:19
Thank you for the explanation and the link to Kanji. In the next day or two I will study it and then I will be able to read and write fluently in Japanese. OK maybe three days.. when I can write in Kanji then Wally-san will get off my back about my poor spelling in english and then I can beat him up about something bad that he does.. haven't figured out what that might be....
OK meanwhile.. can you tell me if there is a specific Kami that is associated with Mt Fuji. I know [ I think] that Fujisan is a Kami all by itself but is there any other or any more. Also is Fujisan as a Kami male or female ? Or neither. This may not make much sense to you I will explain furthur if you need me to. Mucho Domo.

Peter 2009/4/28 13:45
Mucho domo????? Did the tequila and the sake get mixed?? hehe
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi Lori 2009/4/28 22:31
Just checking to see if you were paying attention.

Eric 2009/4/28 22:32
By the way Eric, did you happen to know a Leonard Wizzian, who worked in the Army Procurement Agency in Japan in the 1950s and 1960s. I may not have spelled his last name correctly, but it is close. He was my boss in procurment at Kelly AFB in San Antonio in the 1970s, and a great friend. His wife was a famous Takarazuka performer. Leonard died of cancer in 1977.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

JPA 2009/4/28 23:20
Sorry, that is a name I don't recognize.
Most of our JPA associates were DACs but there were a few regular Army types that were friends of the family.
JPA also had a State Department connection. State money was used to jump start war torn industries that would in turn supply the US Army & AF in the Far East.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji 2009/4/29 23:31
Peter-sama

Yes, Mt.Fuji is an object of the belief of Kami-Sama. The god is male or female is not understood. The god with the greatest Shintoism is "Amaterasu-oomikami" (“VÆ‘åŒä_jlike a female. As for Shintoism, I am not well informed. Mt.Fuji is believed in with the Asama Shinto shrine. There is a picture's the Shinto shrine in a Japanese version of this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengen_Shrine

Shinto 2009/5/1 01:05
Kaoru-san
Thank you for all of your help and references, they have been very helpful but I still have much to know and undestand. I find Japanese mythology very interesting.
I hope you are well. New Hampshire now has no snow and the flowers are growing and it is very beautiful.

Re: Shinto 2009/5/1 07:37
Kaoru-san
I have also been following your references for the last few days and have learned a great deal. Thank you.
It is thundering here in Virginia today. I am hiding my belly button.
Dave-san
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Peter and Dave-san 2009/5/1 10:06
Hi, there

I am glad that you are interested about Kanji and Japanese culture. Japan is consecutive holidays now. And Yokohama is clear.

Happy May Day 2009/5/1 22:10
Happy May Day, everyone !
On this day, about 53 or 54 years ago, the Zengakuran Students (Communist) Federation staged a march through Yokohama. Far East Network was broadcasting 'Condition Orange" or something like it, warning Americans to remain on the base or inside their homes for the day.
My mom had driven dad to the airport a few days earlier and had neglected to park our old Packard in the garage next to our home.
The snake-dancing mob spotted the Packard and tipped it over on its roof and set it on fire and then painted a hammer and sickle on our front door.
While our maid had elected to stay at her dormitory for the day, my mother got up on a step ladder and took pictures of the affair over our board fence with a Rolleflex camera.
A few days later, my dad arrived home by taxi and walked right past the big scorch mark on the pavement. Ignoring the life and limb circumstances of the previous day, his first words upon entering the house were, "What the hell happened to the Packard?"
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Wabi and Sabi 2009/5/2 21:21
I think that you saw a very narrow old tearoom with Kyouto or Kamakura. And, Sankeien Garden of Honmoku. The gardens in the temple only of sand and the rocks. It is Wabi and Sabi of the trait of the Japanese culture. I think that this is a peculiar culture to Japan. This is influenced by Sadou(tea manner). It was liked very much by generals in the Middle Ages.

Enjoy this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Wabi sabi 2009/5/3 00:54

Todays Haiku

On the beach lies
a peice of rusted metal
its use unknown
AH. wabi-sabi.

Page 72 of 233: Posts 1421 - 1440 of 4652
prev