Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 73 of 233: Posts 1441 - 1460 of 4653
prev
1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 233
next

thank you 2009/5/3 10:57
I was too young when Iived in Japan to remember most of what you are talking about, but I love reading what you have to say.
Karou -- I think that Japan was where I first realized that there was incredible beauty in the world -- Mt. Fuji, Cherry Blossoms, Dragon Parades, the Fujiya Hotel, the train trip getting there -- I never forgot any of it. My favorite part of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is the Japanese collection. Yours is a beautiful country with a fascinating culture that I want to learn more about. As well as learn the language.
Eric -- I remember being told, probably in 1954, to stay inside and not take the bus to the exchange, or anyplace else for that matter, because of Communist demonstrations on May Day. And I have to say, your father sounds a lot like mine would have!
We are actually having a few days of Spring here on Cape Cod -- I missed it last year -- I was in the shower. :-)
Actually, I have three friends who lived in Japan around the time we did, as well as a neighbor who's Japanese. One of the friends even lived in Area X (aka Negishi Heights). Small world.
by SrCath (guest) rate this post as useful

Arigatou 2009/5/3 20:57
Hello, SrCat-san

I am glad you have memories of a lot of Japan. I am often looking for the link of English concerning Honmoku and Negihi. And, I will say them to you who had lived in Japan before. About 160 naval men and family seems still to live in Negishi and the North Dock respectively.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

SrCath 2009/5/4 00:50
The best book I ever read on Japan was "Japanese Inn," by Oliver Statler. You can read the preview on www.books.google.com. Mr. Statler was from Illinois, was a WWII vet, and worked for U.S. civil service in Japan after the war until 1954, but he stayed in Japan for a few more years, and published the book in 1961. The book is very historical in a narrative form and takes place at a Japanese Inn on the Tokaido Road over a 400 year period starting in the 15th century. It is mostly about the Tokugawa shogunate. This is one of my all time favorite books, and I think you will enjoy it too.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Another book 2009/5/4 01:52
The Fujiya hotel in Hakone is one of the worlds finest hotels. I never stayed there myself but it was a favorite of my parents who visited us once. The Fujiya once published a book called Japan Topysy Turvydom. It was printed and bound in the old style of Japanese bookbinding with the pages "folded" it was a riot as it was a comparison between western and eastern differences. It was done in a very reverent way but with much humor. my dad wanted to get another copy but at the gift shop there they had never heard of it.
SrCath- I haven't been to the Boston Museum of fine arts in years, thanks for the jump start, I think I would like to go there again. There is also a wonderful Japanese collection at the Peabody Museum in Salem Mass.
Cath-san you must take long showers! Cape cod isn't that bad.. untill us tourists arrive.
How funny life is.. At our antique shop in New Hampshire there is a tree that is very beautiful and I was aware that it was some kind of rare fruit tree. A person came in and commented how beautiful the cherry tree was. Right under my nose.. sakura.. It never bore any cherries so I never knew. It is a deep red and maroon.. and at this moment is is full blossem, Last year in the early spring I got out my pruning saw and with my "Japanese head on" I timmed it like I was doing ikebana, came out pretty good if I could say so. Time for a little Koto music. Best to all.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese Inn 2009/5/4 01:55
I agree about "Japanese Inn" - I have an old beaten up copy. Don't know if it is still in print, or available now in stores.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese Inn, etc. 2009/5/4 23:02
I went onto the local library system and they have copies of Japanese Inn in Wellfleet, Truro, and at the community college, so I've requested it and should have it in a couple of days. I'm eager to read it.

We have cherry trees lining the major roads here in town . I don't remember when they were planted, but they're really lovely and they're almost in bloom.

The last time I was at the Peabody-Essex Museum, most of their collection was in storage because they were in the midst of major renovations and expansion. I haven't been able to get back there since then, but it's still on my list.
Japan Topsy Turveydom does not seem to be available in any library in the entire Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Shocking, simply shocking!

by SrCath (guest) rate this post as useful

SrCath 2009/5/5 01:46
The topsy-turvydom book is pretty rare, we do books at our shop and have never found one.
You are right it is the Peabody-Essex as they merged several years ago. The japanese room is huge! It seemed [ as the story goes] that local merchants in Salem
had the forsight to realize that after Japan was opened up to the west that her history was going to be lost or changed, So they commissioned a clipper ship to go to Japan and buy up all kinds of things that represented Japanese life and arts ect. and as result the Peabody has a world class collection of Japanese decorative arts, crafts and just about everything. The swords [ which are works of art to many] are housed as sourt of a side-line in flip cases, these are master swords that the Japanese now would love to be returned to their country. The museum also had a fantastic collection of netsuke, absolutely breathtaking! I went there once to see it and it was gone. I asked the guard where it was and he said that they had sent it on tour, and in Washington state [ I believe ] It was stolen in the middle of the night with no trace.. puff.. gone. Master theives. probably now is in some private collection back in Japan. You are right, the problem with the Peabody [ and other museums] I suspect, is storage and display space, They had a chinese dragon, absolutely beautiful, maybe 3 feet.. in solid sterling silver, where was it? In storage..

Japanese topsyturvydom 2009/5/6 16:29
This is available on the web. http://www.archive.org/details/japanesetopsytur00patt
You can read and print the illustrated work by going to file book. File book beta has zoom.
Enjoy!
Dave-san
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Fujiya Hotel 2009/5/6 20:44
Yes, Fujiya hotel is the most famous in Hakone. Chaplin, John Lennon, and a lot of celebrities stayed Fujiya. Establishment 1879. My family stayed once. We enjoyed the dinner of the French. The main dish was good taste beef steak with source of truffle. Fujiya has a good English site, It can retrieve with Google.

Thank you.

Amazing ! 2009/5/8 14:57
Dave -san, this is incredable
how did you get this!. You are a pretty sharp guy you know? You work for some think tank right?
The version that shows is not the one I remember but is close. I think this is an earlier version, perhaps a first edition. The one I remember was kind of like more of a Riplies believe it or not format, nevertheless I am thrilled to see it, can I say thank you. ooops just did. I was going to make a joke about marines and literature but under the circumtsances that joke would be in poor taste, and on me.
Kaoru, I miss Hakone A few times we would take a train from Yokohama and trolly to a lake at Fujisan then accross the lake to a tram way like a ski lift, over the mountain to a train station back and forth [switchback] and to the train. Took all day and was fun. Stopped on the tram to smell the sulfur springs like rotten eggs. Trip accross the lake was the best as Fujisan was right there. I wonder if there is an English site that give year around weather for the top of Fuji, temperatures, snowfall, wind ect do you know ? Would be helpful for a little research I am doing. Hope you are well. Keoskete ne ?

Mt. Fuji 2009/5/8 21:39
Hi, Peter-san

I was not able to find the link of detailed weather situations of Mt. Fuji. These are the sightseeing guides.

http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/english/index.html

http://www.fujisan5.jp/index_e.html

Re: Amazing! 2009/5/8 23:36
Peter-san,
Try this:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mount-Fuji
Keoskete. (A term I haven't heard for years. I may get some of my Japanese back if we keep this up.)
Dave-san
by Dave Horne (guest) rate this post as useful

Fuji 2009/5/9 00:42
Kaoru-san thanks for the links. It was not quite what I was looking for but it is helpful. OK I am going to impose on you again. What is the highest wind speed that is normal for Mr Fuji. Just the average high speed not the most ever recorded. And I believe that there is a weather station on top of the mountain ? Is that correct? Do they publish reports in English ? You now ask.. What is Peter-san doing? Lets say I like weather information. Thanks again for your help. I hope your teaching is going well.

Mt. Fuji 2009/5/9 02:11
Yes, there was weather station in the top of Mt. Fuji until 1999. It was a large radar dome. The weather-monitoring satellite is sending us the weather forecast now. There was very big damage by the typhoon in the western part of Japan in 1959. It is called Isewan typhoon,Vera. Afterwards, to prevent damage by the typhoon, the Meteorological Agency made the weather station in the top of Mt. Fuji.

I think that top of Mt. Fuji always blows very strong wind.

Re: Amazing! 2009/5/9 02:24
Peter-san,
Try this:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mount-Fuji
Keoskete. (A term I haven't heard for years. I may get some of my Japanese back if we keep this up.)
Dave-san

Keoskete 2009/5/9 03:52
I'm not sure I spelled it right [ Ask wally I never spell right] We used some Japanese terms that Im not sure were applied properly. I used keoskete to mean "take it easy" which the Japanese never do work hard play hard. We used a phrase genki-pati-pati which always drew a shy laugh from the Japanese, it may have been naughty, I don't know.I suspect that some of my Japanese friends would teach us words and phrases that when used would be embarrassing.

Re: Keoskete 2009/5/9 12:31
Peter-san,
I learned keoskete to mean take it easy but have no idea how to spell it in English. Genki-pati-pati is totally new to me. I had a pretty good handle on naughty Japanese when I was a dependant (there was a good reason they called us brats) that I didn't need to expand on when I returned as a clazy melican maleen.
Maybe Kaoru-san will be nice enough to translate if you haven't totally disgraced all of us with your crudeness.
Did you check my Fuji weather site? It gives temperature and wind velocity and more at three altitudes on Mt. Fuji and several locations nearby.
Dave-san

Dave=san 2009/5/9 14:21
Hey dave, yes I checked the site and found it useful, I appreciate it. If there is any disgrace it is mine and mine alone, If needed I will call on you as my second as this might be too much to bear. While in Japan I suppose I did have a fauxpas or two, like the day in Kamakura we took a walk and a "short cut" and wound up tresspassing into a Buddhist Monaestery. oops, got the bums rush out thru the main gate.. still can see the expressions on the Japanese tourists as we came out through the gate. Given some of the cultural differences I am surprised I didn't goof up more.. of course you never made any mistakes did you ? Did WE remember to take our shoes off?

Wally and Eric 2009/5/9 15:13
Just read of some awful storms in your area with injuries, destruction and even some deaths - hope you're both okay and unaffected. Best to everybody.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

faux pas 2009/5/9 15:51
Peter-san,
I originally went to Japan when I was eleven aboard the Mitchell traveling with my mother. My stepfather had been transferred to Japan from Korea and was waiting for us in Yokohama. Our first stop was in Okinawa at White Beach where we were allowed to get off the ship for a couple of hours. A bus took a bunch of us dependants to the club for lunch. Being totally new I didn't have a clue about anything. I needed to find the men's room but no one in our party knew where it was so I went up to the front desk and asked where the bathroom was. Got a blank look. I asked again and the three men behind the desk conferred in heated Japanese for a very long time.
Finally, I was directed out the front door and down the street to another building. I went in and was greeted by a very attractive lady who wasn't wearing much but who had a good command of English and immediately realized that I was lost and not there for a bath or anything else. After telling her that I was looking for the bathroom she laughingly told me to go back and ask where the benjo was. I did and was properly directed and now was educated with one very important Japanese word and a first impression of Japan that I will treasure forever.
Dave-san

Page 73 of 233: Posts 1441 - 1460 of 4653
prev
1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 233
next

reply to this thread