Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 93 of 233: Posts 1841 - 1860 of 4652
prev
1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 233
next

Travel solutions 2009/10/10 02:24
Get on the plane while pretending to have a "stiff leg" that prevents seating in business or the cheap seats. This gets you into first class on JAL. Extra credit awarded to a cane, crutches or a cast.

Attempt to make small talk in broken Nihon with the Japanese hostess. She will take pity on your vocabulary. This is the time to ask for more sake for your leg.

Ask if Toshiro Mifune is staring in the overnight movie. This should get another round of free sake.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Travel 2009/10/10 23:13
Eric - terrific ideas - will jot them down - does this only work for you guys, or can us ladies also use these ploys?
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

be my guest 2009/10/12 00:16
You betcha !
I have to admit the above ideas are not my originals. This was offered by an experienced business guy who liked JAL's service vs. Northwest. He had noticed JAL always seemed to have an empty seat in first class and figured out a way to "move up."

Dale Carnegie techniques 2009/10/12 00:27
I should add: I've never tried this on an airplane but did test it several times while travelling in Mexico.
While checking in at a small hotel in Oaxaca, I introduced myself in absolutely the worst broken Spanish I could muster. By my third fumbling sentence, the desk manager interrupted me, saying, "Please sir, we do speak English and we have your reservation."
She had either taken pity on my garbled high school Spanish or my rendition had become painful.
In the Dale Carnegie course, this is called "Create the eager want."

Eric 2009/10/12 01:28
I bet that will work in Branson too!
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Two movies 2009/10/14 11:29
Thanks Eric for all those terrific ideas. Will have to work on my "acting" skills.

Talk about acting, just saw two terrific movies I hadn't seen before: "Memoirs of a Geisha", and "The last Samurai". Both really enjoyable. "Geisha" was shot totally in studios where they built a traditional old village, which they couldn't find in Japan (too many planes, tall buildings, other modern noises, apparently), and the actors weren't Japanese, but it managed to look very authentic due to talented production people, and it was a really enjoyable movie for those who haven't yet seen it - it's on dvd. "Samurai" put me to sleep, but my husband Ron loved it - a Tom Cruise action movie; don't know if it has any basis in reality.

Re: Two Movies 2009/10/14 13:29
Steffi, I haven't seen The Last Samurai but thoroughly enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha, one of the few movies that seemed almost as good as the book, closely sticking to the plot line. Though some of the scenes were painful to watch, the settings and costumes were beautiful and seemed authentic -- I didn't know that the sets were studio constructed. Having seen some of the urban pictures here at Japan Guide, I can understand why it was necessary to construct sets representing old Japan. I highly recommend the book, although reading it after seeing the movie might be a problem -- at least it would be for me. Books activate the imagination, but once I've seen a movie, I find it difficult to override the movie images in my head. If anyone has article or book recommendations related to Japan, I would love to know about them.

by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

American movies of Japan 2009/10/14 23:19
Anyone remember "Teahouse of the August Moon" from 1956? This movie was actually filmed in Okinawa and was a comically cute rendition of the culture clash that took place as America moved to Japan after the war. Marlon Brando cast as "Sakimi" was more or less believeable as an Okinawan.
The absolute worst portrayal has to go to Ricardo Mantalban as Nakamura in the 1957 movie "Sayonara." This realistic movie has scenes from the Japan I remember but Montalban couldn't quite carry it off, no matter how much his makeup.

Movies 2009/10/15 00:09
I Liked the Last Samurai, and I believe that it was filmed in the Phillipines, its a guy flick. The opening shot "showed "Yokohama in the Meji era, and was very believeable except for Fuji-san that seemed like it was placed on a street a couple of blocks beyone isazaki-cho. The worst portrayal of a Japanese by a foreigner. Must go to the 1942 US propanda film which was intended to stiff up dislike for the Japanese, by any standard it was pretty bad..'you amelicans...
Letters to Iwo Jima was a very good movie, but was tough to see because of the realistic battle scenes.
Anyone see Kurizawas, Woman in the Dunes ?
Was a 60 art film, very well done but dark and troubleing.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi and Peter 2009/10/15 07:36
Movies donft get any better than Kurosawafs gRashomon,h gRan,h and gSeven Samurai,h that is unless John Wayne is in them. I also enjoyed the television shows about gZatoichi, the Blind Samurai", but Tom Cruise playing a samurai, youfve got to be kidding! I saw gLast Samuraih and believe me, even Peter-san would have been more convincing in the role. I saw the James Bond flick, gYou Only Live Twiceh when I got back to the states in 1968, and wondered why I hadnft been able to get a beautiful Japanese girlfriend who drove a white Toyota sports car? Then I read Michenerfs book gSayonarah and saw the movie, and Ifm still trying to decide whether Brandofs method acting ruined the movie or made it more interesting. Wouldnft it be great if they made a movie about the U.S. military in Japan in the 1960s? I can see it now--the hero of the story would be a mild mannered medic by day and spy by night (a la Sherlock Holmes), and he hangs out at the Peanut Club, and all the beautiful Japanese chicks are crazy about him. His sidekick is Dr. Saunders, food inspector. Man, Ifve got to get out of the house more.

Re: Movies 2009/10/15 07:56
No, Wally, stay in the house, let your imagination fly, write a book or movie proposal, and send it to Hollywood. Your idea about the U.S. military in Japan in the 1960s is a whole lot better than many of the movies that have been produced. Go, Wally!
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Wal-san 2009/10/15 09:54
I must admit that I liked the Last Samuri more foe the scenes, language and "feel"than Tom Cruse, who as you know played an American hired to train the Japanese into a "modern army.
I agree with Barbara, your concept about Yokohama in the 60's has some interesting merit [ am I biased ?...nooo] There are some Venture Capitol people that give out big bucks just to develop concepts like this. Lets talk.
As for getting out of the house, I had my fall foliage tour yesterday,.. walked to the end of the driveway..who needs to get out !!
Dr. Saunders... I like that, and don't mind being 2nd fiddle..I'd follow you into battle anytime..notice I said follow YOU.

Movie question 2009/10/15 13:44
If anyone could explain the meaning of "Woman in the Dunes" I'd be most grateful. I've seen it several times and I have to admit I could make no sense of it.

Marlon Brando - I dislike actors that don't enunciate and just mutter - he always made me feel like I was a little deaf.

Hey Steffi; 2009/10/15 21:57
I coulda been a contenda.
I coulda been somebody...

Jeff's last few days in Japan 2009/10/15 23:02
Eric - what did you say? huh? You're a method actor also?

Thought I'd post an email Jeff just sent -

Went to see live Kabuki here in Tokyo, performed traditionally, in what I THINK is the most famous kabuki theatre in Japan. Definitely the main one in Tokyo. It was fascinating -- but the music was terrific. Go to youtube and poke around searching for kabuki music. I'm going to look into getting some when I get back home

Can't believe the trip is coming to a close. I have four full days left, then I fly home Tuesday (Japan time), landing in NYC the same day, Tuesday, NYC time (flight is about half a day, but then clock gets turned back half a day due to the time zone).

I land in Newark Tue around 4:30pm, and there's a Knicks game that night (preseason) so I may just go straight to MSG before going home. The bus from Newark goes right to Penn station, so I might as well go at least to some of it.

Yesterday was a huge day. I spent the morning in Osaka, then traveled 1.5 hours to Himeji to see Japan's oldest and best original giant castle that was never knocked down, then went back to another part of Osaka to see their incredible aquarium, then took a bullet train and got to Tokyo around 11:30pm at night.

Also, as far as English-speaking friends, I made about 3-4 good ones when I was first in Tokyo, and as luck would have it, one of them is back in the same place I'm staying, and he's here the whole time I am. So that's cool. Plus of course I met Japanese people that I can hang out with.

I think my final four days will be spent taking half-day trips back to Yokohama and Kamakura, and maybe some other classic kinda town, and exploring japan the rest.

I am writing this from a hotel (that I wandered into, and they had open wifi) in Ginza, right near the famous fish market, which I'll see one of these mornings. But before kabuki tonight I ate a fish/rice-based meal at a little place one block from the market, and it was friggin delicious.

All good!

Woman in the Dunes 2009/10/16 00:05
Oh Steffi.. were not supposed to understand it.. its an art film.. I was hoping that you would explain it to me !
Thanks for jeffs msg.

Movie Theaters-Trains 2009/10/16 08:34
During my stay in Yokohama (1968-69) I went to a local movie theater to see "The Graduate". To my surprise the seats were, I thought, made for children. I was slim back then but still couldn't comfortably fit.
Anyone else have this experience.

P.S. The ceilings of the trains were about 6'. I had to bend down a bit to fit. lol
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi 2009/10/16 23:20
Jeff will probably be glad to get home, but I know he will miss Japan too. If it is not too much to ask, I for one would like to hear more about his trip, and implore him to post a few of his observations and experiences on this forum. Do you think you can get him to share some of his adventures in Japan with us?

Wally 2009/10/17 00:03
I think your suggestion is good - I will ask him to post here but don't know if he will - he's always so busy with his own affairs. He's currently back in Tokyo, taking day trips to Yokohama, spending time on the "bluff." He has updated the cemetary surivor information - this is where my father is buried. He has also seen Berrick Hall and gotten lots of pictures and some brochures of this lovely building. Also, he's talked to the St Mauer folks, but plans to go back again to this area. He's due to come backon Tuesday

A River in Egypt 2009/10/19 07:14
It is NOT snowing in New Hampshire.. It is Not snowing in New Hampshire...no..no..no nein nein nein...eee...ehhh

Page 93 of 233: Posts 1841 - 1860 of 4652
prev
1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 233
next

reply to this thread