Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 97 of 233: Posts 1921 - 1940 of 4653
prev
1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 233
next

Thanksgiving 2009/11/26 00:33
Ah, yes! Kishine Barracks had the greatest mess hall in the Army, and we had turkey with all the fixinsf on Thanksgiving 1967. Most of our cooks were Japanese, and they were expert chefs and the food was perfect, especially the Butterball turkeys with the gApproved by Peter Saundersh stamps on them. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, but donft eat too much; and I ask that God bless Peter-san and grant him many more years here on earth so that we can all benefit from his wisdom and humor! Well, his humor anyway.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Happy Thanksgiving 2009/11/26 01:33
To all of my good friends I would like to wish a happy thanksgiving, and especially Wally-san and his very thoughtful prayer.
And yes we did inspect frozen turkeys, I have told this story before but there was one Japanese young man that helped me do an inspection on what he thought were chickens.. very large chickens. I remember a small gathering at out little apartment and the hit of the day was the 'rice Crispie Cookies.. you know the ones with marshmellow.. a taste of home..
Well I don't have to tell you-all what I am thankful for.. a side benefit.. I can legitimately beg off the marathon 8 hour family gab fest.. that always gets around to politics. Somehow lately my thoughts have been beyond that.
I continue to make progress, and am told I am ahead of the curve. I am warned not to push it.. good advise.
So we stay close to home, and take it easy. I usually am an avid cook, but this year I will just make my signature dish.. clam dip.. that is a closely held secret.. unless you ask.. unfortunately.. I am only 'allowed" a taste as there are all kinds of diet restrictions I am under. A small price to pay.
Happy Thinksgiving to all !!
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter's writing 2009/11/26 07:06
Has anyone else noticed? There is a thousand per cent improvement in Peter's spelling. What did they do to him? I for one miss his unique spelling and unusual wordings. It's okay, Peter - we all enjoy reading your posts anyway.

I don't remember Thanksgiving in Yokohama, but I do remember Christmas there - I'll save that story for later on. Maybe some day I'll learn to put some old pictures on this thing - I have some that are so lovely as do you all, I'm sure.

Barbara - thanks for the tip. Yes, I have been looking at not only the reams of pictures, but the maps, directions for how to get to places, etc etc. Jeff says j-g was the most helpful of all his resources, which included the Frommer and Lonely Planet guides.

Dave - enjoyed your memories. And also Wally's.

Have fun, everyone!
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanksgiving in Yokohama 2009/11/26 16:55
My memories of Thanksgiving spent in Yokohama (1980 & '81) are of my husband and I having 2 or 3 single guys in for a traditional turkey dinner. The same for Christmas; we also had single guys in for a home-cooked meal and to watch the Super Bowl in January. Nothing like a sailor who lives onboard a ship to truly appreciate a home-cooked meal. I was happy to do that for them.
I also shared/told about American holiday traditions with my Japanese English-language students. One thing we did was to occasionally have each other taste a traditional holiday food. I bought cranberry sauce for them to taste. They weren't sure they liked it "by itself"; they were trying to figure out what else to eat it with. Was interesting to hear their ideas, although I don't remember anything they suggested except to spread cranberry sauce on toast.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

I am thankful for our young people! 2009/11/27 00:57
On this Thanksgiving Day I am reminded of James Michenerfs novel gThe Bridges at Toko-Ri,h about navy pilots during the Korean War. On the last page of the book, the old Admiral is sitting in his captainfs chair on the bridge of the aircraft carrier watching the jets take off for a dangerous bombing mission, and he knows, and the pilots know that some of them will not return, and the admiral asks himself, gWhere do we get such men?h I used to think that my generation was more patriotic and dedicated than the young people of today; however, I didnft voluntarily join the military during the Vietnam War, I was drafted, and today there is no military draft and we still have all these wonderful young kids volunteering for military service while knowing full well that they will be sent to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that many will die there. gWhere do we get such men and women?h

Steffi 2009/11/27 09:20
Re Peterfs spelling. Donft you know what is going on? Janet is doing Peterfs typing! You know you canft teach an old dog new tricks, or how to spell, so when Peter is back to normal (whatever that is) we will know by all the spelling mistakes in his posts, and I will be happy to see them!

My spelling 2009/11/27 11:49
I am as much in a loss as you are to this development. Janet is not typing this for me, being in a semi-coma for a week may have its benefits.. yet I would not recomment it. Perhaps it may be a form of chemical electro-shock. A thousand percent ? How did you guys put up with me !
I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.

TG dinner 2009/11/28 10:45
Instead of the usual turkey, greenbean casserole and pumpkin pie, I found two new recipes in our local newspaper about a week ago and decided to give them a try.
The main course was pork loin roast, with garlic, pears and onions and fresh thyme. This was easy and took less than 1 hour in the stove. This was served with a spinich and mushroom w/ cheese casserole in the same oven. For some reason, the casserole raised like a big pastry and was about two inches above the pyrex when done. It didn't spill so that turned out pretty well. Cranberries in a sauce is mandatory for TG so that was included. I made a gravy out of the leavings from the pork with help from Mrs. Argo. Yum.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Cave of Taya 2009/11/29 10:06
Peter san

Hope you feel better.

I think that you went to the "Cave of Tana" near Ofuna. I found in English link. You might already have found this. Please enjoy.

http://wikimapia.org/3857664/Taya-caves-Taya-no-Dookutsu
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Taya Caves 2009/11/29 12:47
Yes, I went to Taya caves and enjoyed the link. I thought the caves were in Kamakura and was surprised to learn that they were really in Yokohama. I remember that there was one chamber in this tunnel complex that was carved like the inside of a Japanese bell. I believe that also you had to go with a guide as it was possible to get lost inside this maze of tunnels.
Thanks Karou, nice of you to remember. I continue to make progress, it is slow, but steady. No pain, which is remarkable considering.
Also I enjoyed Eric's menu. Perhaps here in New England we will be able to break the traditional turkey fare... nahh.. never happen yo !

Wabi and Sabi 2009/12/3 04:14
I think that you saw a very narrow room in the temple's or traditional garden in Japan. It is a culture of Wabi and Sabi that started in the Middle Ages of Japan. And, the temple's gardens of sand. Japanese imaged the sea and the land by them Samurai in the Middle Ages liked Sadou. Sadou is a tea ceremony. The culture of Japan loved simplicity. Sankeien garden is the same as it. Became colorful culture in the Edo age. I do not know Sadou though I have several old teacups. It has a little difficult ceremony.

From Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Anniversary of Pearl Harbor 2009/12/9 06:31
Thought the following article might be of interest:

Pearl Harbor Day 2009: three enduring mysteries
By Peter Grier
Mon Dec 7, 4:00 am ET

Washington – How did the Japanese do it? That question remains 68 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor, a day that spawned some of the greatest unanswered questions of US military history.

The completeness of the surprise, as well as the enormity of the attack's destruction, have led conspiracy theorists to surmise that President Franklin D. Roosevelt must have known what was coming, and allowed it, to rouse the nation for World War II.

Most historians don't believe that. The conspiracy theorists generally premise their arguments on the notion that the United States had broken the codes of the Japanese navy and thus knew its carriers were steaming toward Hawaii. But that's not true, according to Robert J. Hanyok, a former historian with the US National Security Agency.

In 1941, US code breakers had made only minimal progress in understanding encrypted Japanese navy messages, Mr. Hanyok writes in a recent Naval History magazine article.

"No intelligence about Pearl Harbor could come from this source," he writes.

A better explanation for the enormity of the US defeat might be that the attack was a so-called black swan event: something so far outside the realm of expectations that Americans could not conceive of it occurring.

This was true even of American servicemen looking at hints of what was coming their way.

"It just wasn't in their frame of reference," says naval historian Lawrence H. Suid.

Today, a number of what-ifs, or enduring mysteries, about the Pearl Harbor attack continue to inspire debate. Among them:

Why didn't the US see Japanese planes coming on radar? Actually, US Army radar operators did spot the Japanese air assault on radar. They just did not know what they were seeing.

Radar technology was in its infancy, and an Army crew was training on a new radar installed at the northern point of the Hawaiian island of Oahu. On Dec. 7, 1941, this crew spotted a mass of incoming somethings larger than they had ever seen. They decided it was probably some expected US B-17s and reported it as such.

But the radar return looked much different from what they were used to seeing.

"Why didn't this stir up their curiosity?" Suid says.

Why did the US Navy ignore the sinking of a Japanese submarine prior to the attack? At 6:37 on the morning of Dec. 7, the USS Ward, an old four-stack destroyer, attacked and destroyed a Japanese mini-sub making its way toward Pearl Harbor.

Crew members of the Ward saw a submarine periscope, dropped depth charges, and saw an oil slick and debris indicating they had destroyed a target. They immediately sent a dispatch saying that they had destroyed "a submarine operating in defense sea areas," according to a copy of the ship's report of the attack.

This incident took place an hour prior to the arrival of the first wave of Japanese warplanes. But US military officials did not heed the warning provided by the Ward, or did not believe it, or simply were unable to react in time.

Three years later to the day, on Dec. 7, 1944, the Ward was sunk by a Japanese kamikaze air attack off the island of Leyte.

How did the Japanese fleet get so close to Hawaii without being spotted? The Japanese military's attempts to deceive its US counterparts as to where Japan's carriers were in early December 1941 succeeded to a remarkable degree.

A radio ruse contributed greatly to this success. Beginning in mid-November, the Japanese ships pretended to be continuing with a routine communications drill – knowing that all the while US eavesdroppers were listening in.

They then followed with a week of only occasional chatter, leading US analysts to believe that the carriers had entered home waters for rest. Instead, they were steaming toward Hawaii.

Japanese operational security prior to the fleet's departure had been so tight that at least one foreign ship approaching a Japanese navy training area had been boarded and seized. Fleet plans for the month of December had been printed without an annex detailing the destination of Hawaii. Even senior Japanese officers weren't told of the attack until the last possible moment.

In the end, the Japanese achieved almost complete tactical surprise. And in that might lie the key to understanding Pearl Harbor, writes Hanyok, the former NSA historian.

The key could be not the surprise per se, but the skill of the Japanese. Most US analyses of Pearl Harbor probe for American mistakes, or they at least see the attack in an American frame of reference.

"But the key to understanding why the surprise assault was so successful lies in realizing what the Japanese did right," according to Hanyok.

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Pearl 2009/12/9 10:39
There have been several movies depecting this event. The one that comes the closest is my humble opinion is "Tora Tora Tora" which goes into the attack from both views.
I loved the charcater that played Admiral Nagumo, no frills and battle hardned. Steffi is right.. a well planned first strike against an unsuspecting enemy has almost got to succeed.

Pearl 2009/12/10 00:15
Wife and i will visit Hawaii in February. We plan to see the Arizona Memorial, the Battleship Missouri and some of the other beginning/end of the war exibits.
The Missouri is in dry dock now for a repaint but should be done when we get there.
I was last in Hawaii in 1961 on board the MSTS ship Gen W. A. Mann. We stopped in Honolulu for one day on our final return to the US after a decade in Japan. MSTS ships carried military families in staterooms midship and troops in the bow and stern sections.
The Arizona Memorial was just being built in '61. Today, there is worry that the old battleship may collapse from rust and age and there have been various plans advanced to preserve the wreck. It is a touchy subject and apparently no one in the Navy wants to sign off on any measure for fear that they will disturb the gravesite of the one thousand sailors lost on Dec 7.

Pearl Harbor 2009/12/10 00:50
What intrigues me about the Grier piece is his warning about gconspiracy theorists,h as I have found this to be the new politically correct way to call someone who doesnft agree with you a nut. Conspiracy theory or not, the facts are: 1) In July 1941 FDR shut off the supply of oil to Japan, enacted a trade embargo, and froze Japanese assets, supposedly because of Japanfs war with China; 2) that such actions are always construed to be an act of war, and if FDR did not know that Japan would retaliate, he should have known; 3) the U.S. intercepted a message to the Japanese ambassador on December 6, breaking off diplomatic relations, about which FDR said gthis means war,h and 4) what was sticking out there that would be vulnerable to attack(?), why the U.S. Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor of course! There was something very odd by the way: 1) all of the battleships were in port like sitting ducks, but the aircraft carriers were at sea, and 2) that there were no, or practically no observation planes circling the islands on lookout for enemy ships.

I generally have a favorable opinion of Franklin D. Roosevelt, because I think he kept the country from going communist; however, I believe he either booted the Pearl Harbor thing, or he knew about it and allowed it to happen so that we could go to war against the Nazis. Further, I believe that if he did know about the pending attack on Pearl Harbor, he underestimated the power of the Japanese fleet, and there was a lot more death and destruction than he anticipated.

FDR 2009/12/10 01:20
Roosevelt loved the US Navy and I doubt he would have done anything to cause it harm. He served eight years as assistant secretary of the Navy 1913-1920.
If FDR ignored the looming threat of an attack, and admittedly there were clues, then so did MacArthur and everyone else in the services.

"a date which will live in infamy" 2009/12/10 15:47
I've never believed any of the conspiracy theories on Pearl Harbor or any of our other great historical events. What has always struck me is how badly the planners of the Pearl Harbor Attack miscalculated the result. I would argue that the attack was a military blunder, not a success.
There are good summaries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor and http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Arizona 2009/12/11 01:14
I had read that all the gun turrets with their 14 inch guns had been removed from the Arizona and mounted as shore batteries after the battleship went down. It's interesting to note from the National Park Service report that the front turret is still attached.

Pearl Harbor 2009/12/11 05:20
Several years ago when I visited Pearl Harbor, in addition to seeing the memorial, there was a WW2 submarine which was anchored to the shore line and could be boarded by tourists. I was shocked at how cramped the vessel was. That anyone could live like that for weeks or months at a time is amazing, particularly if you were under fire.

Is the vessel still there?
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

USS Bowfin 2009/12/11 05:24
The submarine Bowfin is on display at Pearl.
My Scout troops went aboard a submarine at Yokosuka and I recall the boat smelled like hot oil...

Page 97 of 233: Posts 1921 - 1940 of 4653
prev
1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 233
next

reply to this thread