The JR Hokuriku Area Pass is a rail pass for exclusive use by foreign tourists. It provides pass holders with four consecutive days of unlimited travel on designated JR train and bus lines (including unreserved seats on limited express trains) in the Hokuriku Region. It can be a good pass for exploring the area around Kanazawa, Kaga Onsen, Fukui and other attractions in the region.
|If purchased outside Japan||If purchased via JR West online reservation||If puchased inside Japan|
|4 days||5090 yen||5500 yen||5600 yen|
- Unlimited use of JR trains along the lines shown on the map above, including non-reserved seats on shinkansen and limited express trains.
- Unlimited use of the IR Ishikawa Railway between Kanazawa and Tsubata to access the JR Nanao Line and on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway between Toyama and Takaoka to access the JR Himi and Johana Lines; however, it is not allowed to get on and off at any stations in between. The liner surcharge for Ainokaze Liner trains is not covered.
- Reserved seats are not covered by the pass. If pass holders wish to use a reserved seat, nevertheless, the pass will cover only the base fare, while the limited express fee will have to be paid separately. Note that Kagayaki trains along the Hokuriku Shinkansen carry only reserved seating and cannot be used free of charge by pass holders.
- Unlimited use of local JR buses around Kanazawa.
- The pass is valid on four consecutive calendar days (midnight to midnight).
- The pass provides discounts on various non-JR trains and buses, including the following:
- Toyama Chiho Railway between Toyama and Tateyama (no stop-overs allowed)
- Round trip along the Tateyama Kurobe Alpen Route between Tateyama and Lake Kurobe
- Selected bus passes for travel from Takaoka to Gokayama and Shirakawago
- 1-day pass of the Kanazawa Loop Bus
- 1-day pass for the Can buses in the Kaga Onsen area
- Selected bus passes for travel from Fukui to Tojinbo and Eiheiji Temple
- The pass provides discounts on admission to a small number of tourist attractions in the area.
- Only foreign visitors to Japan (with temporary visitor status) can use the JR Hokuriku Area Pass. It cannot be used by residents of Japan.
- The pass can only be used by a single person. It cannot be transferred between multiple persons. The pass holder has to carry his/her passport at all times.
Points of Sale
The JR Hokuriku Area Pass can be purchased online, at selected travel agents outside of Japan and at major railway stations in the area covered. If purchased outside of Japan or via the internet, a voucher will be initially issued that has to be exchanged to the actual pass after arrival in Japan at a major station in the area covered. If purchasing the pass inside of Japan, the cost is slightly higher, and there is a limit of one purchase per person and stay. There is no such limit otherwise.
The JR Hokuriku Area Pass is an excellent value for exploring the Hokuriku Region. It already almost pays off for a one way trip by limited express from Tsuruga to Kanazawa alone. Use in combination with a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass could be worth considering.