The JR Sanin Okayama Area Pass is a rail pass for exclusive use by foreign tourists, providing four consecutive days of unlimited travel on designated JR train lines in the Sanin and Okayama regions, including unreserved seats on limited express trains. It can be a good pass for exploring the area around Matsue, Iwami Ginzan, Hagi and Tottori, but even pays off for a one way trip between Okayama and Matsue alone.
|If purchased outside Japan||If purchased via JR West online reservation||If puchased inside Japan|
|4 days||4500 yen||5300 yen||5500 yen|
- Unlimited use of JR trains along the lines shown on the map above, including non-reserved seats on limited express trains. The pass is also valid on trains along the Chizukyu Express Line between Kamigori and Chizu, a non-JR line that provides fast access to Tottori.
- Reserved seats are not covered by the pass. If pass holders wish to use a reserved seat, nevertheless, the pass will cover only the base fare, while the limited express fee will have to be paid separately.
- Free use of selected tourist loop buses in Matsue (Lake Line) and Tottori (Kirin Jishi Loop Bus).
- Free use of rental bicycles at designated Ekirin Kun outlets within the covered area.
- The pass is valid on four consecutive calendar days (midnight to midnight).
- The pass provides discounts on admission to a small number of tourist attractions, including Okayama's Korakuen Garden and Okayama Castle.
- Only foreign visitors to Japan (with temporary visitor status) can use the JR Sanin Okayama Area Pass. It cannot be used by residents of Japan.
- The pass can only be used by a single person. It cannot be transferred between multiple persons. The pass holder has to carry his/her passport at all times.
Points of Sale
The JR Sanin Okayama Area Pass can be purchased online, at selected travel agents outside of Japan and at major railway stations in the area covered. If purchased outside of Japan or via the internet, a voucher will be initially issued that has to be exchanged to the actual pass after arrival in Japan at a major station in the area covered. If purchasing the pass inside of Japan, the cost is higher, and there is a limit of one purchase per person and stay. There is no such limit otherwise.
The JR Sanin Okayama Area Pass is an excellent value for exploring the Sanin Region as it already pays off for a one way trip by limited express from Okayama to Matsue alone. Use in combination with a JR Kansai Wide Area Pass could be worth considering.